Guide to the Walter Eugene Packard papers
Photographs transferred to Bancroft Pictorial Collections. (Photographic materials classified as
Identifier/Call Number: 1967.009--PIC.Others transferred toIdentifier/Call Number: BANC PIC 1964.075--PIC
Copies of letters to Sophia Maria (Smith) Leonard from Richard Realf removed to the Richard Realf Papers
Identifier/Call Number: (BANC MSS 80/139 z)
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Subseries 1_1: Outgoing approximately 1899-1966, undated
Outgoing letters from Walter Eugene Packard approximately 1899-1966, undated
Subseries 1_2: Incoming approximately 1899-1966, undated
- A-Single Letter Miscellany
- Aandahl, Fred George, 1897-; Alcorn, George B.; Anderson, Dewey, 1897-; Anderson, Glenn Malcolm, 1913-
- Adams, Frank, 1875-
- 4 letters, 1931-1966. Letter (copy), Mar. 10, 1931, written to L. G. Hoff with enclosure: letter from Hoff to Adams. Letter, Oct. 31, 1966, addressed to Mrs. Packard.
- Alexander, Will Winton, 1884-
- 2 letters, 1937-1955
- Alsberg, Carl Lucas, 1877-1940
- 4 letters,1938-1939.
- Archer, Laird, 1892-
- 4 letters,1955-1967. Letters, Jan. 2 and 10, 1967, addressed to Mrs. Packard.
- B-Single Letter Miscellany
- >Barrows, Harlan Harland, 1877-1960; Barton, William Eleazar, 1861-1930; Bell, George Lewis, 1888-1958; Berkeley High Twelve Club; Bertsch, Howard, 1909-; >Bioletti, Frederic Theodore, 1865-; Breed, Arthur Hastings, 1865-1953; Breed, Eleanor D.; Brown, Edmund Gerald, 1905-; Burdick, Eugene L., 1918-; Burton, John L.
- Baldwin, Calvin Benham, 1902-
- 4 letters, 1939-1944
- Ballis, George
- 3 letters, 1963
- Bartlett, Louis, 1872-1960
- 7 letters, 1940-1954. Letter (copy), April 19, 1944, is written to Sheridan Downey. Included also: letter (copy), March 30, 1944, to Bartlett from Judson King.
- Beck (R.W.) and Associates
- 2 letters, 1965. Written by Herbert C. Westfall, Manager, Western Region. Concerning plans for building a 500,000-kilowatt nuclear plant in the Delta area.
- Bell, Colin Wedderburn, 1903-
- 4 letters, 1961. Letter (copy), Jan. 12, is written to Allen Longshore.
- Benedict, Murray Reed, 1892-
- 5 letters, 1940-1946. Letter, Aug. 5, 1941, is written to J. Rupert Mason.
- Benítez, Jaime, 1908-
- 3 letters, 1949-1955. Written while Chancellor, University of Puerto Rico.
- Berkeley, California First Congregational Church
- 2 letters, 1954.
- Bernstein, Leon, 1915-
- 2 letters, 1955
- Bird, Remsen Dubois, 1888-
- 3 letters, 1954-1955. Letter, Oct. 10, 1954, includes carbon of Packard's reply on verso.
- Blaisdell, Allen Carrier, 1897-
- 4 letters, 1954-1956.
- Bliven, Bruce, 1889-
- 7 letters, 1954-1973. Several letters are written to Mrs. Packard.
- Bouphidis, Sotori
- See Greece. Consulate, San Francisco
- Bulbulian, Berge
- 2 letters, 1963-1964.
- Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
- 2 letters, 1964
- C-Single Letter Miscellany
- Carter, Albert Edward, 1881-; Carter, Oliver Jesse, 1911-; Center for the Study of Democratic Institutions; Champion, Charles Hale, 1922-; Clark, Ramsey, 1927-; Cowden, Howard A., 1893-1972; Curtiss, Charles Franklin, 1863-1947; Douglas, Helen (Gahagan), 1900-;
- California. University, San Francisco (Medical Center)
- 2 letters, 1963-1966
- Catsambis, Cleon
- See Greece. Consulate, San Francisco
- Central Labor Council of Santa Clara County APL-CIO
- 2 letters, 1965. Written by James P. McLaughlin, Secretary-Treasurer. Letter (copy), June 28, written to President Lyndon B. Johnson.
- Clawson, Marion, 1905-
- 2 letters, 1944
- Coffield, Clara Eleanor (Packard), 1910-
- 12 letters, 1937-1966
- Cohelan, Jeffery, 1914-
- 8 letters, 1962-1965
- Committee for a Review of Our China Policy
- 4 letters, 1964. Written by Charles O. Porter and Ernest T. Nash.
- Council for a Livable World
- 3 letters, 1964
- Cowell, Henry Dixon, 1897-1965
- 2 letters, 1943-1962. Included also: In Memoriam (pamphlet)
- Cowell, Sidney Hawkins (Robertson)
- 6 letters, 1964-1969. Written mainly to Mrs. Packard.
- Cross, Ira Brown, 1880-
- 2 letters, 1954
- D-Single Letter Miscellany
- Downey, Sheridan, 1884-1961; Dallas County State Bank; Dawson, Albert K.; Dickinson, Philip P.; Domhoff, Bill; Douglas, Helen (Gahagan), 1900-; Dunne, Joe.
- Daniels, Josephus, 1862-1948
- 5 letters, 1937-1938
- Davis, Arthur Powell, 1861-1933
- 2 letters, 1916-1917. Written while Director and Chief Engineer, U.S. Reclamation Service. Letter (copy), Mar. 23, 1917, written to Board of Directors, Imperial County Farm Bureau.
- Dibble, Barry, 1881-
- 4 letters, 1929-1954
- Duffy, Walter A.
- 49 letters, 1939-1943. Written while Regional Director, Farm Security Administration
- E-Single Letter Miscellany
- Eckbo, Garrett, 1910-; Edward, H.R.; Egloff, Marjorie; Elder, C.C.; Erskine, Dorothy.
- El Centro Chamber of Commerce
- 3 letters, 1938-1940.
- Engle, Clair, 1911-1964
- 2 letters, 1959-1964. Letter, July 22, 1964, written for him by Philip P. Dickinson.
- F-Single Letter Miscellany
- Fortier, Samuel, 1855-1933; Farquharson, D.G.; Fawcett, Will S.; Ferguson Steamship Agency; Ferry, W.H.; Fluharty, L.W.; Foreign Operations Administration; Foreign Service;
- Fireman, Milton
- 5 letters, 1953-1955 and n.d.
- Fortas, Abe, 1910-
- 8 letters, 1949-1965. Letter, May 16, 1949, written by his secretary. Enclosure: sworn statements by Packard's friends used by Fortas in Packard's loyalty hearings. See also Wurster, Catherine (Bauer), 1905-1964.
- Fryer, Leland N.
- 24 letters, 1940-1946 and n.d. Relate mainly to Farm Security Administration.
- G-Single Letter Miscellany
- Garst, Eleanor; Grady, Lucretia (del Valle), d. 1972; Geer, William D.; Fresno County Farm Bureau; Gerty, Francis J; Gilfillan; William E.; Gimbell, Dennis; Goldshmidt, Alfons; Grady, Grover;
- Garst, Jonathan, 1893-1973
- 18 letters, 1936-1965. Letters dated 1930's written while Regional Director, Resettlement Administration. Several letters written to other persons.
- Garst, Roswell, 1898-
- 3 letters, 1963. Copies of letters written to other persons. Included also: carbon translation of letter to Garst from N. Khrushchev, Dec. 31, 1959.
- Gray, Lewis Cecil, 1881-
- 8 letters, 1924-1939. Several letters (copies) written to other persons.
- Greece. Consulate, San Francisco
- 3 letters, 1964-1966. Written by Sotori Bouphidis and Cleon Catsambis.
- Greene, Felix
- 2 letters, 1961 and n.d. Telegram (copy) n.d. written to President-elect John F. Kennedy. Concern U.S.-China relations.
- H-Single Letter Miscellany
- Hamilton, Walton Hale, 1881-1958; Hanna, Paul Robert, 1902-; Hewes, Laurence I.; Holifield, Chet, 1903-; Humphrey, Hubert Horatio, 1911-; Huxley, Aldous Leonard, 1894-1963 (see Kahoe, Walter).
- Hoppe, Arthur Watterson, 1925-
- 3 letters, 1962-1963. Written to Mrs. Packard.
- Hunt, Thomas Forsyth, 1862-1927
- 2 letters, 1914-1923
- I-Single Letter Miscellany
- Ingalsbe, Gene: International Planned Parenthood Federation.
- International Cooperative Petroleum Association
- 2 letters, 1961
- J-Single Letter Miscellany
- Johnson, Lewis Jerome, 1867-1952; Joralemon, Ira B.; Julian, Correll M.
- Jackson, Henry Martin, 1912-
- 2 letters, 1964-1965
- John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
- 42 letters, 1940-1941. Written mainly by Anne M. Mumford, Executive Secretary. Relate mainly to his Central Valley land studies and his book "The Economic Implications of the Central Valley Project."
- Johnson, Edgar Augustus Jerome, 1900-
- 2 letters, 1953-1954.
- K-Single Letter Miscellany
- Kahoe, Walter (written while assistant to Arthur E. Morgan. Enclosure: Letter (copy) to Morgan from Aldous Huxley, July 26, 1937); Kerr, Clark, 1911-; Kimbrough, O. L.; Kuchel, Thomas Henry, 1910-; Kershner, Kitty; Koras, Mrs. James K.; Kreutzer, Dorothy M.
- Khrushchev, Nikita Sergeevich, 1894-
- See Garst, Roswell, 1898-
- L-Single Letter Miscellany
- Laidler, Harry Wellington, 1884-; Landauer, Carl, 1891-; Lubin, Isador, 1896-.
- Lapham, Roger Dearborn, 1883-1966
- 2 letters, 1961-1962
- Lee, Charles Hamilton, 1883-1967
- 2 letters, 1930-1933
- Leonard, Sophia Sarah Maria (Smith), 1842-1947
- 78 letters, 1915-1936. Concern life in a small agricultural community in Iowa. Written mainly to Mrs. Packard.
- Leonard, Warren Henry, 1900-1966
- 5 letters, 1959-1966
- Letsas, Frixos
- 17 letters, 1953-1956. Written by Packard's assistant in Greece
- M-Single Letter Miscellany
- McCarran, Patrick Anthony, 1876-1954; McCarthy, Gerald T., 1909-; McGovern, George Stanley, 1922- (see Anderson, Dewey, 1897-); Marsh, Benjamin Clarke, 1877- (The People's Lobby); >Marshall, George Catlett, 1880-1959; >Mocine, Corwin R. (to Mrs. Walter Packard).
- McCarthy, Thomas K.
- 3 letters, 1955. Concern Packard's work in Jamaica for Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corporation.
- McDonald, Grace
- 11 letters, 1954-1966. Written while Executive Secretary, California Farm Research and Legislative Committee. Several letters (copies) written to other persons.
- McGrath, Harold I.
- 2 letters, 1943-1944. Written while Executive Director, California Housing and Planning Association.
- McLaughlin, James P.
- See Central Labor Council of Santa Clara County AFL-CIO.
- McWilliams, Carey, 1905-
- 3 letters, 1964-1969. Written while Editor of The Nation. Letter dated 1969 written to Mrs. Packard.
- Marín, Luis Muñoz
- See Puerto Rico. Governor
- Marx, Guido Hugo, 1871-1949
- 2 letters, 1944
- Mason, James Rupert, 1886-1959
- 38 letters, 1935-1944. Mainly copies of letters written to other persons; concern reclamation, irrigation, land use, etcetera.
- Mead, Elwood, 1858-1936
- 3 letters, approximately 1923-1924
- Meiklejohn, Helen (Everett)
- 3 letters, 1965-1966. Letter, March 21, 1966, written while Honorary Chairman, East Bay Committee to Abolish the House Un-American Activities Committee. Letter, Nov. 17, 1966, written to Mrs. Packard.
- Mumford, Anne M.
- See John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
- Murray, Keith
- 2 letters, 1961-1963. Letter (copy), Dec. 26, 1961 written to Gov. Edmund G. Brown.
- N-Single Letter Miscellany
- Nelson, Samuel Baldwin, 1902-; Nash, Roy; National Committee for the Union of Cyprus; National Farmers Union; National Reclamation Association; Nelson, A.M.;
- Nash, Ernest T.
- See Committee for a Review of Our China Policy
- Neilands, John B.
- 6 letters, 1963-1966. Letter (copy), May 25, 1964, written to Stewart Udall. Letter, Nov. 15, 1966, written to Mrs. Packard.
- Nelson, Lowry, 1893-
- 2 letters, 1939-1946
- Nuveen, John, 1896-1968
- 4 letters, 1953-1966. Letter, Nov. 3, 1966, written to Mrs. Packard. Included also: copy of Memorial service for John Nuveen.
- O-Single Letter Miscellany
- Oak Park (Village of), Illinois; Oregon, State of;
- Olson, Culbert Levy, 1876-1962
- 2 letters, 1940-1942. Letter, Oct. 10, 1940, written to Paul S. Taylor. Letter, Dec. 30, 1942, written by M. Stanley Mosk, Executive Secretary.
- Outland, George Elmer, 1906-
- 2 letters, 1943-1944
- P-Single Letter Miscellany
- Pacific Books; Page, John S.; Pepelasis, Adam; Petrovic, A.V.; Petty, Claude R.; Phelan, Margaret; Portland Cement Association; Puerto Rico (various government departments).
- Packard, Clara Adelaide (Fish), 1855-1926
- 97 letters, 1906-1926 and n.d. Mother to Walter Eugene Packard. Relate mainly to family affairs. Some letters are written to Mrs. Packard and the children.
- Packard, Emmy Lou, 1914-
- 97 letters, approximately 1923-1970. Daughter of Walter Eugene PackardLetters dated 1940 and 1941 were written from Mexico and include comments on her work with Rivera. Written to various family members.
- Packard, John Cooper, 1892-1956
- 6 letters, 1908-1940. Brother to Walter Eugene Packard. Letter (copy), Nov. 14, 1940, written to Robert H. Jackson.
- Packard, Samuel Ware, 1847-1937
- 29 letters, 1907-1934. Father to Walter Eugene Packard. Relate mainly to family business and finances.
- Page, John Chatfield, 1887-1955
- 8 letters, 1938-1941. Written while Commissioner of the Bureau of Reclamation.
- Patrons of Husbandry
- 2 letters, 1965. Written by J. Blaine Quinn, Master, California State Grange.
- Patton, James George, 1902-
- 16 letters, 1944-1968. Letters dated 1944 to 1955, written while President, National Farmers' Union. Letters after 1966 written to Mrs. Packard. Letter (copy), Dec. 27, 1951, written to W. Averell Harriman.
- Piñero, Jesús T
- See Puerto Rico. Governor
- Porter, Charles O.
- See Committee for a Review of Our China Policy
- Porter, Paul Robert, 1908-
- 3 letters, 1950-1954 and n.d. Letter, Nov. 13, 1950, written while Chief, Economic Cooperation Administration Mission to Greece. Letter (copy), n.d., written to W. Averell Harriman.
- Puerto Rico. Governor
- 4 letters, 1946-1955. Written by Jesús T. Piñero, Luis Muñoz Marín and others.
- Q-Single Letter Miscellany
- Quail, John L.; (missing)
- Quinn, J. Blaine
- See Patrons of Husbandry
- R-Single Letter Miscellany
- Reconstruction Finance Corporation; Reynolds, Malvina (Milder), 1900-; Roosevelt, Eleanor (Roosevelt), 1884-1962;
- Reich, William
- 6 letters, 1964-1969 and n.d. Written mainly to Mrs. Packard. Letter (copy), June 24, 1964, written to Gov. E. G. Brown.
- River, Robert B.
- 3 letters, 1955 and n.d. Written while Consultant and Organizing Secretary, California Water and Power Users Association.
- Roosevelt, Franklin Delano, 1882-1945
- See Tugwell, Rexford Guy, 1891-
- S-Single Letter Miscellany
- Sanford, Robert Nevitt, 1909-; Schwartz, Carl Herbert, 1910- (see U.S. Bureau of the Budget); Shaw, Charles Fredrick, 1881-; Swing, Philip David, 1884-;
- Sapinsley, Barbara
- 31 letters, 1965-1972. Written to Mrs. Packard; relate to Miss Sapinsley's proposed biography of Elizabeth Parsons (Ware) Packard (W. E. Packard's grandmother).
- Seaborg, Glenn Theodore, 1912-
- 2 letters, 1963. Written while Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission. Letter, May 27, 1963, written for him by Earle J. Townsend.
- Shattuck, Oscar Willey, 1891? - 1968
- 2 letters, 1964. With these: Letter, Nov. 15, 1968, concerning his death, written to Mrs. Packard by Mr. and Mrs. Dallas C. Bache.
- Shaw, Mary
- 11 letters, 1964-1970. Written mainly to Mrs. Packard. See also Shaw, Robert
- Shaw, Robert
- 17 letters, 1964-1968 and n.d. Some letters addressed to Mrs. Packard. See also Shaw, Mary
- Smith, Roy James
- 2 letters, 1939
- Stassen, Harold Edward, 1907-
- 2 letters, 1954. Written while Director, Foreign Operations Administration.
- Straus, Michael Wolf, 1897-
- 31 letters, 1946-1969 and n.d. Letters dated 1946 and 1947 written while Commissioner of Reclamation. Several letters (copies) written to other persons. Letters after 1966 written to Mrs. Packard.
- Sturdevant, William Lommer, 1885-1952
- 3 letters, 1941-1945. Written while Director of Information, Tennessee Valley Authority.
- Swett, Frank Tracy, 1869-1969
- 10 letters, 1936-1948 and n.d. Several letters (copies) written to other persons. Letters dated 1936 relate to Resettlement Administration.
- T-Single Letter Miscellany
- Taeusch, Carl Frederick, 1889-; Thompson, Carl Dean, 1870-; Tobriner, Mathew Oscar, 1904-; Tolley, Howard Ross, 1889-1958
- Taylor, Paul Schuster, 1895-
- 10 letters, 1935-1966. Several letters (copies) written to other persons. Letter, Nov. 7, 1966, written to Mrs. Packard and family.
- Temko, Allan, 1924-
- 3 letters, 1962.
- Tolan, John Harvey, 1877-1947
- 4 letters, 1941-1944.
- Tugwell, Rexford Guy, 1891-
- 30 letters, 1935-1968. Letter, Mar. 14, 1936, written to Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt, transmitting Packard's letter of resignation as Regional Director, Rural Resettlement contains annotation by Roosevelt. Several letters written for him by others.
- U-Single Letter Miscellany
- Union for Democratic Action; United Hellenic-American Societies; United States Atomic Energy Commission; United States Bureau of the Budget; United States Department of Agriculture; United States Department of Justice.
- Udall, Stewart Lee, 1920-
- 2 letters, 1962-1966. Letter (copy), May 13, 1966, written to Rev. James L. Vizzard.
- United States Farm Security Administration
- 13 letters, approximately 1938-1943
- United States National Youth Administration
- 6 letters, 1939-1940. Written mainly by Aubrey Williams.
- V-Single Letter Miscellany
- Violich, Francis; Vogelsang, Alexander Theodore, 1861-1930; >Voorhis, Horace Jerry, 1901-.
- Veihmeyer, Frank Jacob, 1886-
- 2 letters, 1938-1939. Letter (copy), Feb. 4, 1939, written to Charles F. Shaw.
- W-Single Letter Miscellany
- Walsh, Richard John, 1886-1960; Warren, Charles Hugh, 1927-; Warren, Earl, 1891-; White, Mastin Gentry, 1901-; Wilson, Maud Mathes, 1883-; Wirtz, William Willard, 1912-; Woehlke, Walter Victor, 1879-1954; Wright, John Kirtland, 1891-;
- Wallace, Henry Agard, 1888-1965
- 3 letters, 1944. Written while Vice President of the United States.
- Warne, William Elmo, 1905-
- 8 letters, 1962-1966. Written while Director, California Dept. of Water Resources. Letter, Nov. 2, 1966, written to Mrs. Packard.
- Weeks, David
- 2 letters, 1933-1966. Letter, Nov. 11, 1966, written to Mrs. Packard.
- Wentworth, Edward Norris, 1887-1957
- 6 letters, 1953-1957
- Westfall, Herbert C.
- See Beck (R.W.) and Associates
- Williams, Aubrey Willis, 1890-1965
- See United States National Youth Administration
- Wilson, Milburn Lincoln, 1885-
- 6 letters, 1935-1966 and n.d. Several letters written to other persons. Included also: Letter, n.d., written by Mrs. Wilson.
- Windmiller, Marshall
- 3 letters, 1964-1966. Letter, Nov. 1, 1966, written to Mrs. Packard.
- Woods, Baldwin Munger, 1887-1956
- 2 letters, 1940
- Wurster, Catherine (Bauer), 1905-1964
- 2 letters, 1944-1949. Letter, April 29, 1949, written to Abe Fortas.
- Wyckoff, Florence Walton (Richardson)
- 4 letters, 1944
- Y-Single Letter Miscellaneous
- Young, Walker Rollo, 1885-; Young Women's Christian Association.
- Assorted fragments, unidentified and miscellaneous letters
- Includes letter to Mrs. Upton Sinclair from her brother regarding Upton's manuscript of "The Jungle" and other items.
Incoming letters to Walter Eugene Packard, A-Lucy, Sophie approximately 1899-1966, undated
Incoming letters to Walter Eugene Packard, M-Weeks approximately 1899-1966, undated
Incoming letters to Walter Eugene Packard, M-Weeks approximately 1899-1966, undated
Correspondence relating to Packard's oral history with the Regional Oral History Office of the Bancroft Library; miscellaneous correspondence approximately 1882-1975,
Imperial Valley approximately 1909-1917
Delhi State Land Settlement 1920-1924
Owens Valley Water Study approximately 1924
Soil Survey of Rio Linda Colony, Sacramento County, California approximately 1933
Resettlement Administration. Rural Division, approximately 1933-1937 approximately 1933-1937
Farm Security Administration approximately 1937-1938
Farm Security Administration (continued) approximately 1937-1938
Imperial Valley Study 1939
Study of Baja California for Jewish Settlement approximately 1939
Central Valley Project, California
Central Valley Project general files approximately 1942-1944
Economic Implications of the Central Valley Project (a report by Packard for the Haynes Foundation with accompanying material) approximately 1941
Social-Economic Study of the Central Valley Project of California (typescript by E. Johnson Coil) approximately 1935
Central Valley Project Studies, general files approximately 1940-1945
CVP Studies, Number 2: "Food, Fiber and Seed Production in War Time from the Central Valley Project," May, 1943
CVP Studies, Numbers 8 and 9: "Report of Subcommittee on Allocation to Municipal and Industrial Water Supply" and "Report of the Irrigation Subcommittee," Sept. 22, 1944, Feb. 13, 1945
CVP Studies, Number 15: "Annual Cost of Central Valley Project Power System," report on Section IV Oct. 5, 1943
CVP Studies, Number 16: Report of technical division on water rates May 12, 1944
CVP Studies, Numbers 21 and 22: Drafts of reports by committees on project water May 31, 1944
CVP Studies, Number 24: "The Effect of the Central Valley Project on the Agricultural and Industrial Economy and on the Social Character of California," Sept. 29, 1944
Miscellaneous publications relating to the Central Valley Project 1944-1955
Puerto Rico 1945-1947
Puerto Rico (continued) 1945-1947
Venezuela (continued) 1947
Greece (continued) 1948-1954
Greece (continued) 1948-1954
Miscellaneous project material
California Farmer - Consumer Information Committee 1953-1970
California Power Users Association 1964-1966
California Water and Power Users Association 1955-1956
Accomplishments and Larger Purposes of Rural Resettlement 1937
Achievements and Future Plans of Rural Resettlement 1936
The Agrarian Movement in Mexico 1926
Agriculture and the Depression approximately 1935
The Answer in Greece undated
Arizona Part-Time Farms 1937
Autobiography of a Conviction (Packard's memoir) undated
Back to the Land Movement, with special reference to the Jew (lecture delivered at the San Francisco Jewish Community Center) 1938
The Basically Undemocratic and Seriously Uneconomic Character of the Give-Away Program undated
A Bird's Eye View of Mexico's Agricultural Resources undated
California at the Crossroads approximately 1960
California Breaks With Tradition undated
Can the Low-Income and Destitute Farm Population Improve Their Status Through Cooperation (empty folder) undated
Can Migrants Be Placed to Advantage on Lands to Be Served by the Central Valley Project (Packard's testimony before the Select Committee of the United States House of Representatives Investigating the Interstate Migration of Destitute Citizens) approximately 1940-1941
The Case for a Total Democratic Industrial World Social Order undated
The Central Valley Project undated
Central Valley Project Studies (address delivered by Packard at the semi-annual meeting of the Board of Directors of the CHPA, San Francisco) 1943
Colonization Plans for Irrigation Projects undated
Discussion of the Utilization of the Waters of Columbia River for Irrigation Development in the Columbia Basin (report) approximately 1932
Preliminary Comments on the Program of the Land Authority (Puerto Rico) approximately 1946
Community and Neighborhood Planning (statement prepared by Packard for Ormand E. Loomis, H.O.L.C.) 1937
The Consumer-Labor Approach to Social Organization undated
Cooperatives: Why Cooperation on Rural Resettlement Projects 1936
Cost of Inadequate Rural Housing (statement by Packard prepared for Ormand E. Loomis) 1937
Criteria for the Development of Individual Farm Units on Rural Resettlement Projects 1936
Cuba and Puerto Rico Compared undated
Democracy, A Design for Living undated
A Democratic Analysis of the Triple Revolution undated
A Democratic Substitute for our Present Policies in the Middle East undated
Determination of the Value in Money of the Profits That Flow to Each Particular County From the Standpoint of Irrigation if the State Water Plan Is Put Into Operation 1930
Division of Responsibility for Land, Water and Power Resources Development undated
Economic Analysis of the East Contra Costa Irrigation District (prepared for the Federal Land District) 1933
Economic Primer: Farming in the Future undated
Employment and Earnings in Lynn County, Oregon, A Post-War Study approximately 1942
The Establishment of a Dairy Community in the Guatimape Valley, Durango, Mexico 1930
Farm Tenancy undated
Farming: Why the Way We Do It is Becoming Impossible (radio talk delivered at the Friday luncheon meeting of the Commonwealth Club, San Francisco) 1937
A Four-Year Program for Water and Power Development in Greece approximately 1956
The Fundamentals of California's Inter-related Land, Water, Power and Population Problems approximately 1963
The Fundamentals of the Power Issue in California undated
The Government as a Real Estate Buyer 1937
Ground Water Control: A Key Administrative Problem undated
A Guide to Balance undated
How Large Should a Farm Be? undated
How to Meet the Problems of Marginal Land in Agricultural Land Use Planning (Address, Agricultural Section of the Commonwealth Club, San Francisco) 1938
The Hydro-Electric Power Problem in Greece 1949
Implementing Want undated
Is General Agriculture Over-Developed in California? undated
Land and Water Resources Development and Conservation In Greece approximately 1950
Land Planning Problems in the Western States undated
The Land Problem in Puerto Rico undated
Land Reform in the United States undated
Land Settlement as a Social Force undated
Land Settlement of Irrigation Projects undated
The Last Great Social Revolution approximately 1963
Migratory Agricultural Laborers' Camps undated
Migratory Labor and the Resettlement Administration 1937
The New Cotton Fields of the Southwest (to be read before the National Association of Cotton Manufacturers, Boston) 1919
On the Activities of the California Power Users Association During the Eight Months of its Existence 1919
On the Nature of the Public vs. Private Power Issue undated
On the Need for a Twentieth Century Period of Enlightenment undated
The People's Program for a Better Life (address, Land Tenure Conference, Puerto Rico) 1947
Planning for Survival in Greece (address to the California Chapter of the American Institute of Planners) 1956
Plans for the Resettlement Division (memorandum) 1936
Practicability of Resettlement and its Economic Justification (address to be delivered before the Lions Club, Los Angeles) 1936
Preliminary Report on the Economic Feasibility of the Southwestern Puerto Rico Project 1946
Preliminary Report on the Proposed Development of the Gila Valley Project, Arizona (office file copy, Resettlement Administration) 1935
Present Status and Recent Trends of Irrigation Development undated
The Presently Unrecognized Democratic Third Force in the Cold War undated
Program of Land and Water Resources Development in Greece undated
The Proposal for a Central Valley Authority (a talk before the Public Utilities Section of the Commonwealth Club) 1941
Proposal for Research Into the Problems and Possibilities of Master Planning in Rural Areas undated
Public vs. Private Planning. What is Happening in the Central Valley Project in California approximately 1944
Public vs. Private Power Issue undated
Purposes and Accomplishments of the Resettlement Administration 1937
Race Relations in Mexico undated
Reasons for Not Conveying Title to Farm Security Clients Until the End of Forty Years 1937
A Reconnaissance Study of the Problems and Possibilities of Agricultural Production on Reconditioned Land Following Bauxite Mining Operations in Jamaica 1955
Report on Proposed Resettlement of a 3,000 Acre Tract of Land in the Big Pine District of Inyo County, California (to the Los Angeles Bureau of Public Service) 1924
Report on the Agricultural Situation in Owens Valley, as it relates to the agricultural development of lands belonging to the City of Los Angeles (for the Department of Public Service, Los Angeles) 1925
Report on the Effect of the Change in the Regimen of the Mokelumne River as Proposed by the Pacific Gas and Electric Company Upon the Water Supply for the Mokelumne Valley Lands As Proposed by The Pacific Gas and Electric Company Upon the Water Supply for the Mokelumne Valley Lands) 1932
Report on Water and Power (to the 39th annual meeting of the California Farm Research and Legislative Committee, Fresno) 1964
The Resettlement Program (Address before the Advisory Committee of the College Division, American Society of Agricultural Engineers) 1936
The Resettlement Administration Program in Migratory Labor Camps 1936
Resettlement of Land Utilization Clients 1937
Resettlement Problems in the Great Plains Region (summary of talk made before the President's Committee on Drouth) 1936
The Resettlement Program as it Will Affect Western Irrigation Projects (delivered at the sixth annual conference of the Institute of Irrigation Agriculture, Corvallis, Oregon) 1937
Response to an Underdeveloped World in Revolution undated
Resumé of Rural Resettlement 1936
Resumé of the Rural Resettlement Program 1937
The Road Ahead - A Democratic Design for Living undated
Rural Housing Problems (delivered at the Rural Housing Conference, Washington, D.C 1937
The Serious Nature of California's Rejection of the Acreage Limitation and Public Power Provisions of the Reclamation Act undated
Should Berkeley own its Own Power Distribution System and Buy its Power From Some Suitable Public Agency, (address to Berkeley Mayor Johnson and members of the Berkeley City Council) undated
Soil Survey and Economic Study of the Guatimape Project in the State of Durango (report to the President of th eComision Nacional de Irrigacion, Chapultepec, Mexico) undated
Some Underlying Elements of the Power Problem undated
The Southwest Water Project undated
Special Report on the Rural Resettlement Projects 1936
State Wide Planning (statement prepared by Packard for Walter E. Ormond) 1937
Statement Covering the Delhi Situation undated
Subsidy Grants and Loans (statement prepared by Packard for Walter E. Ormond) undated
Summary of Observations Covering N.Y.A. and Land Settlement Activities in the South (summary prepared for the National Youth Administration) 1938
The Tenant as a Migrant (prepared for the National Conference of Society Work, Indianapolis) 1937
The Time To Act Is Now undated
A Tribute to Richard R. Perkins undated
Values in Relation to Reclamation undated
Western Water and Power Users Council (statement in suport of the Pacific Southwest Water Plan, with reservations, presented by Walter E. Packard on behalf of the Water and Power Users Council of California, at the hearing before the State Water Board in Sacramento) 1963
What Existing Circumstances Require Us To Do undated
What Has Happened in the Caribbean? undated
What is Happening in the Central Valley Project of California undated
What the Development of Techniques Requires Us To Do (prepared for publication in "Plan Age") 1938
Why a New Deal approximately 1933
The Year of Decision on Water and Power undated
Untitled Writings undated
Miscellaneous Fragments and Notes undated
Agriculture in the Imperial Valley: A Manual for Settlers 1917
The Answer in Greece (from Humanist World Digest) 1955
California's Future and the Colorado River Decision (from Frontier: The Voice of the New West) 1963
Can Greece Feed, Clothe and House its Growing Population? (Advisory Group on Land and Water Resources Department) 1954
Economic Implications of the Central Valley Project 1942
Fundamentals of the Land, Water and Power Issues in California (from The Liberal Democrat) 1963
How to Win With Foreign Aid (from The Nation) 1961
Imperial Valley Settlers' Crop Manual (University of California College of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiement Station) 1911
Institutional Adjustments in Land Planning (from Plan Age) 1938
Irrigation of Alfalfa in Imperial Valley (University of California College of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiement Station) 1917
The Land Authority and Democratic Processes in Puerto Rico (Social Science Research Center, University of Puerto Rico) 1948
Mexico's Agriculture (from the Sunday Los Angeles Times, Farm and Garden Section) 1930
Our Fallow Economy (from Agenda: publication of the California Housing and Planning Association) 1941
Post War Future of a Western Community (Farm Security Administration) 1943
Pros and Cons of California's Water Dispute (from The Washington Post) 1962
Public Power? Yes! (from Viewpoint: Junior League of Oakland, Incorporated) 1960
The Relationship of Credit and Organized Land Settlement to the Value of Irrigation Securities and to the Success of Irrigation Development (from The Irrigation Review) 1922
Response to an Underdeveloped World in Action (from Humanist World Digest) 1965
Theory and Practice of Irrigation (in Greek) 1949
What Place Does and Should Agriculture Fill in California (from The Commonwealth: Journal of The Commonwealth Club of California) 1944
Year of Decision on Water and Power (from The Liberal Democrat) 1963
Series 6: Newspaper Clippings and Press approximately 1910-1966
Clippings and press materials approximately 1910-1966
Clippings scrapbook relating to Packard's work in the Imperial Valley approximately 1910-1917
Series 7: Personalia approximately 1900-1966
Assorted personalia approximately 1900-1966
Certificates and awards approximately 1900-1966
Scrapbook and photo album approximately 1900-1966
Incoming and outgoing correspondence approximately 1907-1980
General personalia approximately 1904-1943
K-12 and Iowa State College essays, notes and other materials from New Sharon and Ames, Iowa approximately 1898-1907
K-12 and Iowa State College essays, notes and other materials from New Sharon and Ames, Iowa (continued) approximately 1904-1943
The '07 Bomb (yearbook from Iowa State College, Class of 1907) approximately 1906-1907
Manuscript writings of Emma Lou Packard approximately 1898-1907
Diary, "Dairying on the Delhi State Land Settlement," by Emma Lou Packard approximately 1920-1922
Diary of tour of Southern Resettlement Projects by Emma Lou Packard (also includes notes on lecture by John Gunther) approximately 1936-1937
Scrapbook, Washington, D.C approximately 1935-1937
Clippings scrapbooks of newspaper articles written by Emma Lou Packard on the Delhi Land Settlement approximately 1920-1922
Scrapbook, Imperial Valley and Palo Alto approximately 1910-1932
Responses to invitation to wedding of W.E. Packard and Emma Lou Leonard approximately 1909
Golden wedding anniversary cards approximately 1959
Greeting cards, invitations, announcements approximately 1930-1970
Cards and letters sent on the occasion of Walter Eugene Packard's death 1966
Cards and letters sent on the occasion of Walter Eugene Packard's death (continued) 1966
Packard family genealogy undated
Materials relating to Emmy Lou Packard (W.E. Packard's and Emma Lou Packard's daughter) approximately 1914-1973
Materials relating to Emmy Lou Packard (W.E. Packard's and Emma Lou Packard's daughter) (continued) approximately 1914-1973
Theophilus Packard (grandfather of Walter Eugene Packard) approximately 1819-1872
Samuel Ware Packard, assorted approximately 1869-1887
Samuel Ware Packard, 1900 issue of The Coming City newspaper from Zion City, near Chicago, Illinois with an article by Packard on the legal case of Zion Lace Industries 1900
Samuel Ware Packard, private diary kept from 1869 to 1872 1869-1872
Clara Adelaide (Fish) Packard approximately 1886-1926
Miscellaneous Packard family material undated
Ellen and Bertha Heise, assorted approximately 1867-1938
Ellen Heise's State Board of Health Certificate authorizing her to practice medicine in Illinois 1887
John Cooper Packard approximately 1892-1956
Packard family newspaper clippings undated