Register of the Crocker (Henry R. & May Hall) Collection, 1863-1936

Processed by Don Walker; machine-readable finding aid created by Don Walker
San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum
11793 North Micke Grove Road
Lodi, CA 95241
Phone: (209) 463-4119
Fax: (209) 369-2178
© 1998
San Joaquin County Historical Society & Museum. All rights reserved.

Register of the Crocker (Henry R. & May Hall) Collection, 1863-1936

Collection number: Ms4

San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum

Lodi, California

Contact Information

  • San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum
  • 11793 North Micke Grove Road
  • Lodi, CA 95241
  • Phone: (209) 463-4119
  • Fax: (209) 369-2178
  • Email:
  • URL:
Processed by:
Don Walker
Date Completed:
March 1998
Encoded by:
Don Walker
© 1998 San Joaquin County Historical Society & Museum. All rights reserved.

Descriptive Summary

Title: Crocker (Henry R. & May Hall) Collection,
Date (inclusive): 1863-1936
Collection number: Ms4
Creator: Celia Crocker Thompson
Extent: 0.5 linear ft.
Repository: San Joaquin County Museum.
Lodi, CA 95241
Language: English.

Administrative Information


Collection is open for research by appointment only.

Publication Rights

The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary property.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Crocker (Henry R. & May Hall) Collection, Ms4, San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum.

Access Points

Personal Names

Clark, Galen (1814-1910) -Correspondence
Bade, William Frederic (1871-1936) -Correspondence
Crocker, Henry R. (d. 1904)
Thompson, Celia Crocker (1874-1965)
Crocker, May Hall (d. 1936)

Corporate Names

Sierra Club. San Francisco Bay Chapter
Crocker's Station (Sequoia, Calif.)


Hotelkeepers -California -Sequoia
Women conservationists -California
Photographs -California -Yosemite Valley
Hotels -California -Sequoia
Yosemite Valley (Calif.) -Social life and customs
Europe -Description and travel
California Federation of Women's Clubs. San Joaquin Chapter


Henry R. Crocker, who came to California from Michigan in 1853, operated a hotel on the Big Oak Flat route to Yosemite at Sequoia, Tuolumne County (ca 1870-1904). May Hall, a school teacher from Michigan, married Crocker early in the 1870s. Following Henry Crocker's death (1904), May Hall Crocker attempted briefly to run Crocker's Station hotel alone, but, finding the task too difficult, she sold out and moved to Lodi where she lived with her daughter and son-in-law until her death (1935). Perhaps the major event of Mrs. Crocker's final thirty years was a lengthy tripto Europe, financed by her daughter and son-in-law (1922).
The Crockers' daughter, Celia May (1874-1965), was raised at Crocker Station and subsequently educated at San Joaquin Valley College in Woodbridge (1894-96). There she met her future husband (1903), Wilson Henry Thompson (1868-1953), subsequently Vice President of the Citizens National Bank of Lodi and one of the founders of the Pacific Fruit Exchange. The Thompsons had one son, Henry Allen. Celia Crocker Thompson earned modest renown as a photographer through pictures she took while still a child of the Yosemite region (1890-1904). She subsequently gave the bulk of her work to the Lodi Public Library, where her husband served on the Board of Directors for over fifty years. In addition, Mrs. Thompson gave personal diaries and scrapbooks on local history to the Lodi Library. The San Joaquin County Historical Museum also holds approximately 600 of Thompson's original negatives.

Scope and Content

Mrs. Crocker was friendly with many notables associated with Yosemite, including Galen Clark, John Muir and William F. Badé. Her devotion to conservationist causes is represented by a substantial correspondence---most notably with Sierra Club President, William F. Badé. Mrs. Crocker's European Grand Tour (1922) is represented by much descriptive correspondence from Mrs. Crocker to her Lodi friends and family. The Crocker Collection also contains legal documents pertaining to the Crocker Yosemite property, conservationist publications and ephemera.

Container List




1.1: Crocker family biographical materials


1.2: May Hall Crocker: Personal corresp., 1870s


1.3: do., 1880s


1.4: do., 1890s


1.5: do., 1900-09


1.6: do., 1910-19


1.7: do., 1920s


1.8: May Hall Crocker: European tour---Corresp., 1922


1.9: May Hall Crocker: Conservation---Corresp., 1920s


1.10: May Hall Crocker: Personal corresp., 1930s


1.11 Henry R. Crocker: Legal & business papers, 1871-1904


1.12: Crocker's Station guest lists, 1883-85


1.13: Henry R. Crocker will, 1885


1.14: Conservation materials collected by May Hall Crocker, 1900-1920


1.15: Religious ephemera [8 items]


1.16: Poetry & other writings


a)-*Ford E. Samuel. "To Mrs. Crocker" (1902) [on Crocker's Station letterhead]


b)-Celia Crocker Thompson [?] "My Grandmother" (n.d.)


c)-Maurice Hill. "Sierra Meadow" (n.d.)


d)-"Mother Shipton's prophecy (1485)" [scrap from newspaper]


e)-"The real discoverer of The Sheepherder" [2 pp.]


f)-"Tioga" [Road & Pass]


1.17: Greeting cards, calling cards, programs, etc. [16 items; incl. Celia Crocker Thompson wedding announcement; Charter Day Program, U. of California, 1911 at which May Crocker sang]


1.18: Envelopes from personal correspondence, 1870s-1920s; Crocker's Station letterhead & enevelope [after 1904]


1.19: Business correspondence, 1881-1941 [9 items]


1.20: Deeds, indentures, etc.


a)-Water Rights: Cram Creek, 1872


b)-Water Rights: Rush Creek, 1882


c)-Homestead Certificate: portions of sect. 33, T1SR19E to Henry Crocker, 1883


d)-Deed: Henry Crocker's mine, Bronson, Tuolumne Co., 1886


e)-Deed: portions of sect. 33, T1SR19E homesteaded by Henry R. Crocker, 1886


f)-Deed: SE 1/4 sect. 6, T1SR15E to May E. Crocker in exchange for her caring for Mrs. T.P. Woodruff for the rest of her life, 1891


g)-Stmt. of Property belonging to Great Sierra Stage Co., 1896


h)-Deed: 1/4th interest in Rush Creek Mine to Henry Crocker, 1899


i)-Deed: Santa Maria Mine, Tuolumne Co. to Henry Crocker, 1899


Sales Agmt.: Rush Creek Mine, Tuolumne Co., Henry Crocker to Chas. Bacon, 1903


k)-Tax Assessments: Henry Crocker, 1899-1902


l)-Deed: Santa Maria Mine, Tuolumne Co. To May E. Crocker, 1904


m)-Stmt. Of Ownership: Crocker Ranch & Rush Creek Mine said to be property of May H. Crocker, 1909 [ditto copy]


n)-Copy of sale agmt.: Crocker's Station to John Baker Jr., 1910


1.21: Rainfall charts [Crocker's Station], 1896-1910; mileage tables [from Crocker's]; list of subscribers to Tuolumne Meadows Fund


1.22: Checks, Receipts, etc., 1863-1910 [7 items]