This collection comprises Anaheim-related printed ephemera, photographs, and clippings gathered by the Kuchel family, owners
and publishers of the
Anaheim Gazette, and documenting the family's publishing activities and other local commercial publishing. Other materials in this collection
record the meetings of the Anaheim City Trustees and the Anaheim Water Company Board of Trustees. The majority of materials
in this collection are printed ephemera from the late 19th- and early 20th-centuries, primarily printed for Anaheim companies
and citizens. These include stationery, business and calling cards, corporate and public notices, flyers, broadsides, advertisements,
tickets, and labels for wine, liquor, and other products. Some of these items were printed by the Kuchels' Anaheim Gazette
The Kuchel family of Anaheim published Orange County's first newspaper, the Anaheim Gazette, for 90 consecutive years. Henry Kuchel, editor of the Gazette, was born in 1859 and arrived in Anaheim in 1860 with his German immigrant family. His father, Conrad Kuchel, was one of
the original fifty colonists of Anaheim in 1857. He owned several vineyards in the area, as well as the first meat market
in Anaheim. With his brother Charles, Henry purchased the Gazette in 1887 after working extensively in the newspaper publishing business in both Los Angeles and San Francisco. Henry married
Lutetia Kuchel of Texas in 1894. She assisted Henry in running the Gazette and continued to write for the newspaper after Henry's death in 1935.
1.1 Linear Feet
(2 boxes and 1 oversize folder)
Property rights reside with the University of California. Literary rights are retained by the creators of the records and
their heirs. For permissions to reproduce or to publish, please contact the Head of Special Collections and Archives.
Collection is open for research.