Record Series 229 contains the administrative files of the Chair of the UCLA English Department and documents from the undergraduate
program, the graduate program, and the Composition Section. Materials include annual reports, announcements, event flyers,
memos, statistics, and correspondence.
The Department of English was established in 1905 as part of the Los Angeles State Normal School (LASNS). Beginning with 13
faculty members, the department taught courses on grammar, composition, and literature, and had a special staff for reading,
which would later become the Departments of Theater Arts and of Speech. The English major was developed after the LASNS became
the Southern Branch of the University of California, with the graduate program starting in 1935.
3.0 Linear Feet
Copyright to portions of this collection has been assigned to the UCLA Library Special Collections. The library can grant
permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. Commercial use may require additional rights that must
be determined and obtained by the researcher. All requests for copyright permission to publish must be submitted in writing
to Library Special Collections. Credit shall be given as follows: The Regents of the University of California on behalf of
the UCLA Library Special Collections.
Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special Collections Reference Desk for paging