The Women's Association Collection dates from 1927-2000. It documents the activities and accomplishments of this important group over several decades. It consists
solely of paper records, and includes member directories from 1940-2000, meeting minutes, the group's history and by-laws,
and association newsletters. Also included are copies of the four cookbooks published by the group.
The San Diego State University Women's Association began as the Faculty Dames club in 1927. The club was established as a
social organization to help faculty wives get to know each other. The club's first meeting was held February 4, 1927, where
Mrs. Edward Hardy, wife of the university's president, was elected the club's first president. The seventeen charter members
also elected a Vice President, a Secretary / Treasurer, and set the yearly dues at one dollar per member. Two hostesses were
appointed to provide refreshments and entertainment at future meetings which were to be held at members' homes, as there was
no place for them to meet on campus.
The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with
the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections
is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Requests for permission to publish must be
submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available
for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including
but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
This collection is open for research.