The collection consists of correspondence, office files, and other records from Dr. Hardy's tenure as San Diego State College
Dr. Hardy, a native of Michigan, moved to San Diego in 1906, and served for four years as principal of San Diego High School
before serving as San Diego State's president from 1910-1935. Hardy and others induced the California state legislature to
expand the program of the normal schools from two to four years and to change the name to state teachers colleges. These changes
and the need to fill a four-year curriculum brought about doubled enrollments and a larger faculty. With this growth, the
student body outgrew the capacity of the downtown campus, and President Hardy oversaw planning and construction of a new campus
which was occupied in 1931. By the time of his retirement in 1935, the number of faculty had grown to 60 and the student enrollment
The copyright interests in some of these materials have been transferred to or belong to San Diego State University. The nature
of historical archival and manuscript collections means that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine.
Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. Requests for permission to publish
must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. Permissions
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available
for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including
but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
This collection is open for research.