Register of the UFA motion picture newsreels
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Motion Picture Films, 1939-1945
UFA, Inland, 1939-1945
1. Berlin, amateur German "sportsfest," first since war started; 2. Repatriation of Saarbrücken after armistice; 3. German kids enjoying vacation sponsored by Nationalsozialistische Volkswohlfahrt (NSV) (1 of 350 similar homes); 4. Heavy motorized cars and motorcycles, special mountain training; 5. Hitler Youth in naval training ship; 6. Steiermark, mining of iron ore and smelting; 7. Essen, Adolf Hitler visits home of Gustav Krupp on 70th birthday.
8. Berghof, General Dietrich gives report on fighting to Hitler; 9. Gauleiter of Steinmark talks with Hitler; 10. Paris, concert of German folk songs; 11. Waffen SS decorated with Iron Cross; 12. Front soldiers given Iron Cross, first shot of cameramen.
1. Ship yard, launching of ship; 2. Leipzig, International Trade Fair with 21 countries, Wehrmacht displaying captured Brit machines; 3. Coal mining; 4. POWs in forced labor; 5. Weimar, effects of British bombing; 6. Vienna, Segir Agreement, meeting with Hungary, Romania, Germany, Italy; 7. Budapest, German Cultural house; 8. Madrid, interned German civilians repatriated.
9. Japan, German youth in Japan; 10. Copenhagen, track meet; 11. Italy, Il Duce (Mussolini) visits youth military school; 12. Orvieto, Duce visits women's gymnastic school; 13. Duce at new water wat for Tiber River; 14. Plymouth Harbor, Birmingham, Luftwaffe attack on British factory and harbor; 15. Kiel, Adm. Lutgen, U-Boat returns; 16. Ritter Cross given to PT boat captain; 17. PT boat prepares for sea.
Reel 524, 1940 September
1. Metz, Himmler, and Dietrich review Waffen SS troops; 2. Warsaw, German Labor Service parading with Hierl and Kiel; 3. Belgium, German troops with captured British vehicles; 4. French Coast, German troops blow up British mines; 5. Mediterranean, Italian planes bomb British ships; 6. Map of Europe and British Isles; 7. Luftwaffe squadron preparing and then bombing British airfield.
Reel 525, 1940 September
1. Norway, boys and girls voluntary harvesting in fields; 2. Hungary-Romania, Hungarian soldiers reoccupy border; 3. Berlin, Ley and Himmler greet Ramon Serrano Suner, review troops, and look at Volkswagens; 4. Germany, General Kerotzi meets with General Ritter von Epp; 5. Saarbrücken, Minister Todt, Gauleiter Balkerstadt(?) observe parade; 6. Factory workers; 7. Production of electric generators; 8. Manufacturing sea mines; 9. Sailors laying mines at sea; 10. Production of boots; 11. Injured soldiers in physical therapy.
12. German soldiers cleaning tanks; 13. Artillery observers in balloon; 14. Sollum, Italian planes bombing British positions; 15. Bielefeld, British bombing on children's home; 16. N. France, Goering inspects Luftwaffe troops; 17. Bombers taking off for bombing run over England.
Reel 526, 1940 October
1. Peking, British troops leave N. China for Hong Kong; 2. Bucharest, King of Romania welcomes back Queen Mother with parade; 3. Rome, von Ribbentrop, Count Ciano, talks in Italy with Duce; 4. Berlin, 27 Sept., Ciano, von Ribbentrop, Hitler, Kurusu, signing of Tripartite Pact; 5. Berlin, performances to raise money for BHJ; 6. Merchant marine cadets training; 7. Berlin, Goebbels, at UFA Palace opening of winter season for film festivals; 8. Workers canning food and baking.
1. Washington, 27 Aug., Roosevelt signs bill to activate national guard; 2. US national guard inspected and get new uniforms; 3. Chungking, China, Japanese planes bombing Chungking; 4. Copenhagen, King Christian celebrates 70th birthday; 5. Bremmer Pass, 2 October 1940, Hitler and Mussolini meet for first time since war started; 6. Hanover, Italian minister Farinacci visiting Germany, with Goebbels, Dietrich, Victor Lutze; 7. Sweden, Spanish officers visit artillery school; 8. Berlin, exhibit on air industry; 9. Hitler Youth training with gliders; 10. Glider launched from water; 11. Luxemburg, volunteers officially join German forces; 12. Iron ore factories and mines.
13. France, von Brauchitsch invites French Gauleiters to battlefield; 14. Oslo, ships delivering supplies; 15. Distribution of ration cards; 16. Libya, 17 September, Italian troops capture Sidi Barani; 17. British ships attack and sink French ships; 18. German mine sweepers in Channel; 19. Liverpool, German bombers on night attack of England.
1. Rome, workers construct a bridge; 2. Rome, Minister of Education Rust given honorary doctorate; 3. Madrid, German military band playing concert; 4. Tangier, Spanish Marines go ashore and occupy former French city; 5. Bulgaria, Bulgarian troops reoccupy area; 6. Sophia, King Boris attends thank you parade; 7. Galati, Romania, German Resettlement Commission march through city.
8. Oslo, Norwegian People's Voluntary Army march in parade; 9. Warsaw, retrospect of invasion and parade marking one year German occupation; 10. Troops going through tank training; 11. La Havre, French and German firefighters put out blaze started by RAF attack; 12. Artillery crew shells Dover; 13. Luftwaffe bombs England and dogfight RAF; 14. German naval fleet leaving port.
1. Burma, Burma Road reopened; 2. Bulgaria, Bulgarian cavalry troops reenter territory given back; 3. Bucharest, Prince Michael parades through city; 4. Padua, Mussolini reviews parade of young fascists; 5. Harz, Ger., Reich youth leader Axsmann inspects Hitler Youth; 6. Berlin, Minister of Agriculture Walter Darre, Goebbels meet with Hitler.
7. Wheat field being harvested; 8. München, art exhibition; 9. Berlin, large crowd in attendance of state funeral for Admiral von Trotha; 10. München, injured soldiers at rehab center; 11. Injured soldiers and nurses attending various events; 12. Oslo, people at a harvest festival; 13. France, French prisoners at POW camp are inspected; 14. Paris, people at a market; 15. Engineers building a bridge; 16. N. Africa, Italian and Somalian troops advance through desert; 17. Hiafa, Italian planes bomb British oil tanks; 18. German Stukas take off and dive bomb over England.
1. Rugen, Germany, Ley inspects new construction of seaside resort; 2. Danzig, Dr. Ley inspects housing construction; 3. Hirschau, building of new bridges; 4. Danzig, Goebbels, Gauleiter Foster arriving for first year celebration of Danzig annexation; 5. Danzig, Gauleiter Foster gives new flags to people; 6. Alsace-Lorraine, garrison town for German regiment; 7. Channel Coast, building of airfields; 8. Soldiers bringing bombs to airfield; 9. Bombers and fighters over England; 10. Romania, German planes protect oil fields.
11. Bucharest, German planes land and crews greet them; 12. Romania, German instruction officers meeting with Romanian officers; 13. Venice, Mussolini reviews troops; 14. Marseille, Hitler, Marshall Pétain meeting together as Hitler tours France; 15. Oct. 23, 1940, Hitler and Franco meet for first time; 16. Hitler and Goering talking on train; 17. Florence, Mussolini, Hitler, Ciano, von Ribbentrop greet at train station then take car to meeting.
1. Germany, women and men harvesting field; 2. Salzburg, laborers in quarry blast materials for autobahn; 3. Germany, party official at opening of glider school; 4. Poland, Victor Lutze on visit to Poland; 5. Posen, Lutze celebrates liberation from Polish government; 6. Warsaw, same liberation celebrations; 7. Warsaw, Himmler, memorial celebration of troops killed in Polish occupation.
Reel 532, 1940 November
1. Belgrade, King Paul and wife Olga, German architecture exhibit; 2. Albania, workers building bridges and streets; 3. Italy, Mussolini inspects 8th Army of Italy; 4. Munich, Rudolf Hess represents Hitler at memorial ceremony for Nazi martyrs killed in 1923; 5. Prague, Axman dedicates new banner to youth; 6. Prague, Goebbels, Baron von Neurath, Burckel in the city to talk about German culture.
7. Poland, German troops help clear land for farms; 8. Danzig, kindergarten; 9. Engineers build pontoon bridge under fire; 10. Flanders, Italian pilots join Germans on British air raids; 11. Channel Coast, Luftwaffe shoots down Spitfire; 12. German U-Boats leave port; 13. German ships sink British cargo ships.
Reel 533, 1940 November
1. Manchukuo, China, reconstruction of town to modernize it; 2. Indo-China, Japanese troops going through French controlled territory; 3. Amsterdam, Dutch Nazi party parading through the city; 4. Slovakia, glider school for Slovenians; 5. Berlin, sport festival between Germany and Finland; 6. Berlin, Goebbels attends funeral; 7. Berlin, Goebbels, Todt, and Hitler, dinner for war merit medal winners.
8. Nov. 12, 1940, Molotov, von Ribbentrop, Goering, Hitler, Molotov arrives by train and meets with Hitler; 9. Poland, German troops rebuild streets; 10. Wartegau, workers build new housing; 11. Children and parents on vacation; 12. Berlin, German anti-aircraft in action and downing British ships; 13. Langenmark, von Brauschitz, memorial celebration of dead soldiers from World War I; 14. Oslo, graves of parachute forces; 15. Engineers build bridge; 16. Channel Coast, artillery crews fire at Britain; 17. Luftwaffe attacks British convoy.
1. Gen. Antonescau, von Ribbentrop, Kurusu, Prince Chosa, all signing alliance; 2. Berlin, Slovakian representative meets with Ribbentrop to sign treaty; 3. Vienna, Goering visits exhibit called "Victory in the West"; 4. Westwald, new class of working corps and French war prisoners dismantle Maginot Line; 5. Norway, supplies for German troops unloaded; 6. Channel Coast, Goering awards airmen Iron Crosses; 7. Germany, oil tank cars brought to airfield; 8. Nov. 15, reprisal attack from RAF attack of Munich; 9. North Sea, U-Boat returns from mission.
1. Tokyo, Emperor Hirohito on white horse reviews parade for 2,600th anniversary of Japanese royal family; 2. Italy, Vesuvius erupting; 3. Italy, workers construct power plant; 4. Romania and Austria, German repatriates arrive in Germany; 5. Production of wooden chess figures, among others.
6. Berlin, Maxi and Ernst Baier, ice skating exhibition for soldiers; 7. Vienna, von Schirach and Todt inspect exhibit of Austrian painters; 8. Lenz, POWs work on autobahn bridge; 9. France, French POWs being sent to Germany for work; 10. French POWs work on bridge; 11. Polish civilians rebuild streets; 12. Bicycle troops; 13. Infantry and tank maneuvers; 14. Airmen load large bombs onto planes bound for London; 15. London, King and Queen, Churchill inspect major damage to London, material from US newsreels.
1. Kunming, China, Japanese planes attack Chinese supply centers; 2. Bucharest, Antonescau, von Schirach lay wreath at grave; 3. Oslo, Goebbels visits graveyards of German war heroes; 4. Poland, laborers work on hydroelectric power plant; 5. German civilians participate in seminar on Africa; 6. Lenz, new housing for factory workers; 7. German teens collect toys for soldiers; 8. Field post office handing out mail to troops; 9. Channel Coast, delivery of mail to happy troops; 10. Trucks leave France for Berlin with food for women and children.
11. Berlin, Goebbels, concert from German Radio Service for troops; 12. Stienmark, mountain troops in artillery exercise; 13. Bombers loaded with heavy bomb and fire bombs for attack on Birmingham; 14. Kiel, Admiral Raeder inspects Battleship Bismarck and puts it to sea.
1. Poland, wounded German soldiers at rehab center; 2. Poland, von Brauchitsch reviews troops in east; 3. Bucharest, Antonescau, King Michael review parade of German Wehrmacht troops; 4. Map of Norway compared to Europe and roads needed; 5. German troops transport food; 6. Oslo, new German recruits sworn in; 7. Crew of French RR rebuild road and bridge; 8. Paris, Alfred Rosenberg addresses Chamber of Deputies; 9. Paris, French youth collect clothing; 10. German wounded soldiers make toys for kids; 11. Kids sing to wounded soldiers; 12. Shipyard workers build U-Boats; 13. Hitler, Ley speaks to munition workers at factory.
1. Burma Road, Japanese planes bomb road and factory; 2. Spain, Spanish kids return and are cared for by nurses; 3. Warsaw, retrospect of occupation and new roads, sign on car says "Only for Jews"; 4. Poland, German border guards patrol mountain pass; 5. Norway, German soldiers build new airfields with planes protecting from above; 6. Berlin, Hitler gives reception for industrial, party, and army leaders; 7. Steier, factory workers making rifles.
Part 2: Christmas Week
8. Prof. Thorak sets up sculptures; 9. Wartegau, German kids sent on vacation and get gifts; 10. Poland, German troops cut down Christmas tree; 11. Boat leaves Germany with load of presents for troops in Norway; 12. Wounded soldiers and nurses on hospital ship on Christmas Eve; 13. Motorcycle riders transport tree; 14. Soldier dressed as Santa comes out of plane for troops; 15. Soldiers on front receive gifts; 16. NCO gets Ritter Cross; 17. Cavalry troops clean saddle; 18. Captured English submarine; 19. German troops on way to replace troops in Jersey.
1. Tacoma, Washington, professor from University of Washington inspects bridge oscillating in high winds, taken from US newsreel; 2. Paris, Legionnaires carry casket of French pilot shot down by RAF; 3. Adm. Darlan awards medals; 4. Vienna and Paris, Adm. Darlan receives body of son of Napoleon and places body in tomb; 5. Poland, traveling exhibition; 6. Wartegau, German youth training; 7. Berlin, Goebbels, Hitler, Victor Lutze, 50th birthday celebration; 8. Norway, German troops buy deer meat; 9. Crews of mine sweeping flotilla; 10. Recon plane sees enemy ships and signals back; 11. France, infantry and artillery maneuvers.
1. Tokyo, Emperor Hirohito, memorial and parade for fallen heroes; 2. Yangzi, Japanese planes bomb mountain areas; 3. Mexico City, Gen. Avilla Camacho, folk dances by youth; 4. Geneva, civilian workers at Red Cross center, records of war prisoners; 5. Jan. 12, Goering's 48th birthday; 6. France, workers being trained on German equipment; 7. Warsaw, laborers build canals and bridges; 8. Krakow, entertainment for soldiers; 9. Norway, occupying troops build new roads and barracks; 10. N. France, war reporters collect money for "mother and child" fund; 11. War booty collected; 12. Flight training school; 13. Crew of heavy cruiser puts to sea and sinks British freighter.
1. Tokyo, Hirohito and German delegation celebrate 2,600 years of Emperor's family; 2. Moscow, Molotov, Count von Schulenburg, signing of 4 new treaties; 3. Civilians in heavy snow throughout Europe; 4. Norway, flotilla of Norwegian fishing boats; 5. Denmark, German sailors sightsee at castle; 6. Holland, parade for 9 years of Dutch Nazis; 7. Hirchau, Poland, Foster, building bridge for Autobahn; 8. Posen, reconstruction of theater of Posen; 9. Berlin, art exhibit; 10. Berlin, continuation of Goering's birthday celebration; 11. Production of large aerial search lights; 12. S. France, motorcycle shock troops training; 13. Lt. Col. Gallant attacks RAF planes.
1. Norway, composer Christian Sinding; 2. Oslo, Norwegian unemployed leave for Germany for work; 3. Poland, German soldiers help rebuild farms; 4. Tunnel for train being reopened; 5. Paris, Franz Lehar conducts orchestra; 6. Kärnten, Austria, Hitler Youth leaders meet; 7. Dr. Dietrich at Academy for European Culture; 8. Hanover, Rudolf Hess and new Gauleiter at city hall; 9. Berlin, Adrian Mussen addresses Dutch residences; 10. Berlin, Gen. Yamashita presents von Brauchitsch with samurai katana; 11. Production of helmets; 12. Storm Troops practice maneuvers in snow; 13. Crew of new "Kondor" bomber; 14. Malta, German and Italian planes on bombing run; 15. S. Atlantic, German U-Boat crew on patrol.
1. Berlin, Hitler, Frick, funeral of Franz Gurtner; 2. Berlin, Hitler meets with Hungarian official at Riechchancellary; 3. Berlin, Hitler and Gen. Yamashita meet together; 4. Jan. 30, Berlin, Sport Palace, Hitler gives speech on 8th anniversary of Third Reich.
4. (cont.), Hitler, Goebbels, Hess, Ley, Rosenberg, Hitler speaks to group; 5. Skiing competition; 6. Poland, ship caught in ice; 7. Copenhagen, German troops march through city to relieve guards; 8. Channel coast, heavy artillery shells Dover; 9. Pilot of recon plane lands; 10. Luftwaffe planes take off and bomb British ships; 11. Crews of light cruiser doing various things on deck.
1. Budapest, state funeral for Hungarian; 2. Hitler, Kurusu, farewell visit to Hitler; 3. Japan, German Shepherd dogs with Japanese troops on maneuvers; 4. Oslo, Axmann inspects Hitler Youth unit; 5. Oslo, civilians and soldiers leave by train for winter sports.
6. Baron von Neurath, Hierl observe parade; 7. Prague, Dr. Ley, concert of military music; 8. Poland, Hess, inauguration of two new Gauleiters; 9. Gifts presented to wives of soldiers on front; 10. Bavaria, U-Boat Commander Schiffke at a resort; 11. Berlin, U-Boat captain speaks to youth; 12. Great Deutschland Regiment on maneuvers in snow; 13. Sailors on mine sweepers, destroyers, and PT boats leave port; 14. South Italy, German and Italian planes take off to Africa.
Part 2 only:
1. Berghof, Hitler meets with Yugoslavian officials; 2. Sonnenhof, Dr. Ley, Hitler Youth leaders; 3. Hitler Youth leaders get training and take classes; 4. Berlin, Goebbels addresses Berlin workers; 5. Berlin, Chief of Danish Police on visit to police memorial; 6. Berlin, German police on "Honor Day of the Police"; 7. U-Boat Captain von Stockhausen arrives in home town with crew for celebration; 8. Germany, workers in Siemens factory of water power generator; 9. Arno Breker works on sculpture; 10. Paris, German pilots on leave ice skating.
1. Munich, Hitler, Hess, and Goering attend funeral of Hermann Kriebel; 2. France, Goering gives Ritter Cross to pilots; 3. Goering and general staff have meeting; 4. Berghof, Hitler and Goering meet; 5. Italy, Mussolini, Franco, Serrano-Sunor meet and review honor guard; 6. Berlin, new Japanese ambassador, General Oshima; 7. West Front, Gen. Yamashita visits German army and navy units; 8. Lithuania, Folk Deutsch leave farms for Germany; 9. Poland, factory workers in factory; 10. Prague, Victor Lutze, von Neurath, review troops and swear in unit called "52."
11. Berlin, Leni Riefenstahl and other movie stars, Goebbels at Reich film conference; 12. Film actors celebrate People's Film Day; 13. Himmler, Heydrich, police sports festival; 14. Max Schmelling, boxing champion, volunteered for paratroops; 15. Sepp Dietrich reviews and decorates members of SS; 16. Sicily, German general talks to officers on airfield; 17. Tripoli, crew of German plane see town and talk with people; 18. Crew of light cruiser sunbathe and relax on deck; 19. Same crew boards and sinks British ships.
Reel 548, 1941
1. Munich, Feb. 24, 1941, Hitler, Hess, Ley, Gauleiter Wagner, memorial celebration of founding of Nazi party; 2. Berghof, Oshima, von Ribbentrop meet with Hitler; 3. Vienna, March 1, arrives in city for signing of Bulgaria to Axis; 4. Vienna, treaty is signed; 5. Vienna, Hitler gives reception for diplomats; 6. 5th international winter sports week.
8. Hockey game between Sweden and Germany; 9. Tyrol, army school for mountain guides; 10. Troops and dogs train for messenger work; 11. Bulgaria, German engineers build bridge; 12. Infantry regiment on maneuvers; 13. Coast Guardsmen on patrol in boat.
1. China, Japanese sailors on gunboats in Yangtze River; 2. Japanese cavalry and infantry taking on Chinese resistance; 3. Spain, many fight large fire in city; 4. Poland, German engineers clear river of ice; 5. Berlin, Adolf Huhnlein decorates members of NSKD Trumpet Corps; 6. Hess, Goebbels, Axmann attend 6th winter sport competition of Hitler Youth; 7. Breslau, Himmler, swearing in of Romanian-Germans as citizens; 8. Leipzig, Goebbels, opening of spring industrial German fair.
9. Vienna, Goering, Antonescu meet to talk about economics; 10. Linz, Hitler visits workers on bridge being built; 11. School for submarine crews; 12. Submarine shipyard with two U-Boats launched; 13. Bulgaria, crews of Luftwaffe land at new base; 14. Bulgaria, more German troops entering Bulgaria; 15. Brenner Pass, German troops enroute to Africa via train; 16. Troops board transport ship for Africa; 17. General of Luftwaffe visits airbase as planes prepare and take off for bombing run.
1. Tokyo, Matsuokuo, representatives from Thailand and Indo-China arrive for talks; 2. Berlin, fencing competition; 3. Stuttgart, soccer competition; 4. Berlin, ice skating exhibition; 5. Vienna, Goebbels, 3 year celebration of Austria unification with Germany; 6. Lintz, continuation of celebration with surprise visit by Hitler; 7. Berlin, Hitler, Goering, Himmler, memorial day for war heroes parade; 8. Bulgaria, German troops entering towns; 9. Admiral Doenitz decorates returning U-Boat crew and captain; 10. Captain Kretschmer receives return welcome; 11. Crew of cruiser returns from mission with British prisoners; 12. Tripoli, Rommel reviews troops marching through city; 13. Storm Pioneer Troops on maneuvers.
1. China, Japanese troops secure communication lines; 2. München, von Ribbentrop, Hitler meet Hungarian foreign minister at war memorial; 3. Berlin, track athletes at sports festival; 4. Berlin, visitors at exhibition of newspaper war caricatures; 5. SS troops count money collected for Winter Help Fund; 6. Berlin, civilians at Armed Forces Day celebrations; 7. Posen, Hitler Youth at Culture Day; 8. Posen, Goebbels arriving at theater for show; 9. Warsaw, German soldiers repair indoor swimming pool; 10. Norway, civilian workers in railroad tunnel; 11. Norway, inexperienced sailors skiing and falling down; 12. France, Goering meets with his general staff; 13. Bulgaria, German troops cross pass on Balkan mountains; 14. Tripoli, Rommel, German and Italian troops march through city; 15. North Africa, soldiers cover planes in sand storm; 16. German bombers take off for England.
Reel 552, 1941
1. March 30, 1941, Berlin, Hitler Youth and BDM youths initiation of new members; 2. Berlin, March 27th, Matsuoka, Japanese Foreign Minister, visits for official state visit with Hitler and all top Nazi officials, von Ribbentrop, Keitel, Yamashita, Goering. This scene continues for the rest of the reel
3. Matsuoka continues visit with Hitler and others; 4. Bulgaria, troops work on tanks; 5. King Boris visits Stuka field to review troops and planes; 6. Tripoli, soldiers relax on supply ships and Rommel takes pictures of tanks being unloaded; 7. German troops move toward front line; 8. Shot down spitfire and RAF pilots taken prisoner and interrogated; 9. Weather balloon is launched and planes take off; 10. In Atlantic, multiple scenes of German naval activities across the Atlantic are shown.
1. State funeral for head of Medical Corps; 2. Prague, von Neurath, Rosenberg, 2nd anniversary of establishment of protectorate; 3. Pressburg, Dr. Tisso, celebration for establishment of Slovakian state; 4. Poland, oil drillers and workers; 5. Volks Deutsch from East arrive in Germany; 6. Vienna, German refugees from Yugoslavia arrive via the Danube; 7. War factory, building timer fuses and girls having a snowball fight; 8. 250th anniversary of States Theater; 9. Civilians attend exhibition on theater; 10. Berlin, Goebbels presents "ring of honor" to Emil Jennings; 11. Danzig, Professor Fritz Klimsch, sculpts head and exhibition of his work.
12. Soldier receives Ritter Cross; 13. Railroad engineers building a bridge and testing it; 14. Bulgaria, King Boris watches German maneuvers; 15. North Africa, supplies delivered via plane to ground forces; 16. Various activities with soldiers in desert; 17. Italian desert corps in sand storm; 18. Germany, Doenitz, U-Boats launched from shipyard; 19. Crew of U-Boat in action; special report.
1. April 6, Berlin, Goebbels reads Hitler's proclamation to the people; 2. Ribbentrop reads notes to the press; 3. Infantry advance over Greek border; 4. Serbian prisoners; 5. German troops and tanks advance; 6. Greece, Stukas take off and bomb fortifications; 7. Italian planes bomb storage dumps.
1. Yugoslavia, engineers work on railroad; 2. Large number of Serbian prisoners; 3. Stukas and infantry advance; 4. Bombs dropped on targets; 5. Motorized troops advance; 6. German soldier smokes and smiles at camera; 7. Large numbers of Serbian soldiers surrender to German troops; soldiers advance and take British consulate; 8. Map of Greek front; 9. German artillery shelling front line; 10. Artist from propaganda company sketches war scenes; 11. Stukas bomb fortifications as infantry and tanks advance.
1. German cruiser at sea encountering ships; 2. Crew of British freighter leaves ship that is then sunk; 3. North Africa, soldiers load supplies into trucks; 4. General Geisler decorates airmen; 5. General Rommel gets off light plane; 6. Soldiers and tanks advance toward Sallum; 7. German and Italian tanks battle British tanks; 8. British prisoners in sand storm; 9. Motorcycles and tanks advance quickly; 10. Southeast Front, Hitler, von Papen, von Ribbentrop, King Boris all meet in train car; 11. Count Ciano confers with Hitler; 12. Reich head in Hungary meets with Hitler on train; 13. Danube, German troops advance over river into town; 14. Civilians watch troops advancing through town; 15. Sarajevo, Volk Deutsch remove Soviet war memorial and deface it; 16. Map of Greece, more troops advancing into Greece; 17. Map shows area of shelling, SS meet Italian troops; 18. April 23, General List says two Greek armies surrender; 19. Map, troops advancing and engineers repair bridge; 20. Planes attack Greek airfield; 21. Soldiers enter town with people waving white flags; 22. Lamia, Greece, German Panzers enter town; 23. SS troops cross bridge; 24. Stukas bomb ships, soldiers marching into outskirts of Athens, city is seen.
1. Berlin, Sports Palace, top Nazi officers in attendance, Hitler gives speech on commissioning young cadets into army; 2. May 4, Goering, Goebbels, Kietel, Hitler speaks to Reichstag; 3. Hitler on train visited by Gauleiter; 4. Graz, Austria, Hitler greets crowds in city; 5. Gauleiter Kutschera greets party people and crowds; 6. Map of Balkans showing army's victories; 7. Thermopoli, artillery hits city as it falls; 8. Athens, plane flies over Acropolis; 9. Greece, SS and Italian troops meet; 10. Large number of Serbian prisoners; 11. Peleponnese, German troops land and unload supplies; 12. Map shows arrows on Peleponnese; 13. Stukas start out on attack.
14. Tobruk, old map, troops, tanks, and trucks enter into city showing destruction; 15. Dead enemy soldier and British prisoners; 16. Planes bomb and strafe British tanks; 17. Atlantic Ocean, several heavy cruisers board ship; 18. German U-Boat passes ship; 19. Ships stop British freighter then sink it; 20. Captured crew of another British freighter; 21. Different freighter fired at and sunk; 22. Crew from sunk ship taken aboard.
1. Japan, Japanese workers in artillery factory; 2. Toyooka, young Japanese officers being commissioned; 3. Utrecht, parade of local NSB youth; 4. Berlin, Hitler awards Ritter Cross to SS commander; 5. Berlin, Hitler, Croatian minister meet together and talk; 6. Croatia, Stuka squadron invited to feast; 7. Pireaus, German troops unload supplies; 8. 10,000 prisoners in camp; 9. Corinth, von Brauchitsch inspects region and reviews troops; 10. Luftwaffe crews relax by sailing; 11. German soldiers sightsee at ruins of Delphi; 12. Germany, production of JU-88 bombers; 13. PT boat factory; 14. Soldiers on super long range artillery shell Dover; 15. Minesweepers leave port; 16. Boat crew shoots down British plane; 17. Stukas going across Channel.
1. Japanese bombers raid Chinese supply depot; 2. Japanese infantry advance through country; 3. U.S. East Coast, large forest fire; 4-5. Rome, Duce, Victor Emmannuel asking for appointment of king for Croatia; 6. Berlin, armed forces track meet; 7. Soccer game between navy and air force; 8. Berghof, Hitler awarding Luftwaffe Captain Ritter Cross; 9. Hungary, General von Weist visits horse breeding camp; 10. Danube, mine sweepers clearing river; 11. Peleponese, General List inspects troops; 12. Propaganda unit captures British soldiers; 13. Ship passes through strait of Sallum.
14. Paratroopers enter plane then jump; 15. British prisoners; 16. Possibly wounded German soldier, first such footage; 17. Paratroopers pursue retreating British in captured cars; 18. Large amount of British prisoners with papers taken from officer; 19. North Africa, General Garibaldi visits Afrika Corps and Gen. Rommel; 20. Tobruk, British prisoners take things out of cars; 21. Troops in Panzer roll through ruins; 22. Aerial footage of Sallum; 23. Luftwaffe crew study recon reports and maps; 24. U-Boat and German battleship meet; 25. Crew of ship sinks freighters; 26. Admiral Doenitz receives returning boat; 27. Channel Coast, bombers take off on night bombing of England.
1 Gen. von Kuchler visits propaganda unit; 2. North Africa, Rommel, General Garibaldi meet and confer on maps, inspect troops and equipment; 3. Infantry comes back with British prisoner; 4. Rommel eats in car, soldiers try to sleep in shade; 5. Tobruk, German and Italian tanks roll to meet British tanks; 6. South Atlantic, German cruisers on patrol sink British ships; 7. Plane launched from ship, reports back, ship moves to and sinks British ships; 8. Crew of British ships taken aboard; 9. Map of Crete; 10. Greece, paratroopers get in plane, make jump on Crete, dogfight with British planes.
11. Transport plane returns over Athens; 12. Greece, transport plane makes crash landing on one wheel; 13. Troops board transport plane, jump out over Crete; 14. Stukas attack British fortifications; 15. Wrecked English planes in field; 16. Mountain troops advance; 17. British prisoners marching; 18. Student greets paratroops; 19. Suda Bay, Crete; 20. Infantry advances against British; 21. More troops and machines advancing.
1. Brenner Pass, Hitler, Mussolini, von Ribbentrop, Ciano, Kietel meet on train for talks; 2. Berghof, Ante Pavelic, Hitler, Goering meet for talks; 3. Luxembourg, Axmann, children are initiated into Hitler Youth; 4. Strasbourg, Victor Lutz gives speech to SA troops; 5. Dunkirk, one year after invasion on battlefield; 6. Channel Coast, big guns shell Dover; 7. German bombers on bombing run over England; 8. Kaval, Bulgaria, Bulgarian cavalry march into town; 9. Greece, workers remove canal blockage; 10. Greece, General Lohr arrives on plane with supplies; 11. Crete, paratroops advance; 12. General talks to officers; 13. Soldiers use captured artillery against British; 14. Planes cover advance with bombs; 15. Infantry advances past British airfield; 16. British transport ship tries to escape.
17. North Africa, Rommel visits graves; 18. German soldiers visit Bedouin in tents; 19. Shoemaker in desert; 20. Supplies loaded on truck for front; 21. Scene in bakery; 22. Cars leave for front; 23. Shore line of Sallum Bay; 24. Radio man installs new lines; 25. Artillery fires flak at British planes; 26. Tobruk, German pilots enter fighters, bomb British.
1. Bangkok, Thai army parades in celebration; 2. Tokyo, Japanese army parade in honor of Hirohito's birthday; 3. China, Japanese bombers, infantry lands and fights in streets; 4. Rome, Duce, Axmann, demonstration of Italian youth movement; 5. Berghof, Hitler, King Boris meet; 6. Munich, Antonescu reviews troops, lays wreath at memorial; 7. Berlin, Hitler, von Ribbentrop, Antonescu meet for talks; 8. Yugoslavia, engineers reconstruct rail bridge; 9. Crete, Italian troops land on coast; 10. Italians fight way to inland; 11. German troops join fight; 12. British prisoners; 13. Roads with abandoned British cars.
14. Crete, German infantry enter capital city; 15. Thousands of British prisoners march; 16. North Africa, Rommel, tanks advancing; 17. Sallum, infantry and tanks, new German fortifications; 18. Tobruk, observers issue artillery orders; 19. Germans advancing on British, one German hit; 20. South Atlantic, large German ships start attack; 21. British ship boarded then sunk, show faces of captured; 22. Munitions ship fired at and sunk; 23. 4th ship caught and sunk; 25. 5th and 6th ship sunk at night.
Reel 564, 1941
1. Berlin, soccer championship; 2. Hannover, General Oshima, German-Japanese friendship day; 3. Gen. Oshima given honorary doctorate; 4. Venice, Ciano, Ribbentrop, Pavelic, Croatia joins three-power pact; 5. Berlin, Goebbels, Pavelic, and Hitler meet; 6. North Africa, Rommel decorates General Garibaldi with Iron Cross; 7. Tobruk, soldiers march and Rommel watches artillery; 8. Stukas bomb British ships; 9. British sailors come ashore, Germans help to trucks; 10. Goering and Luftwaffe generals meet for conference; 11. June 22, Goebbels on radio gives Hitler's proclamation for the invasion of Russia; 12 Map of Russian front; 14. Artillery and troops start early morning attack; 15. Troops fighting in street; 16. Two Russian prisoners; 17. Infantry advancing.
18. German engineers remove charges on bridge; 19. Russian prisoners cross bridge, mismatched uniforms, some with no shoes; 20. Crews load heavy bombs onto plane; 21. Bombs dropped on Russian oilfield and rails.
1. Map of Eastern Front; 2. Observation plane takes photos of Russian troop movements; 3. Planes then bomb Russian troops; 4. Map of Lviv (Lemberg), German troops enter city, civilians carry bodies out of Soviet prison set on fire by retreating Russians, bodies piled outside of building, civilians turn over Jews to Germans, beaten and killed by people of Lviv; 5. German planes bombing Russian positions; 6. Tanks, artillery, infantry advancing; 7. Small groups of Russian soldiers surrender then a large group surrenders as Wehrmacht advances; 8. B-110 attacks Russian airfield and shoots down bomber; 9. Map of Kovna, Kalvria, Vilna, Dunaberg, Riga; 10. Infantry enters Vilna and advances.
11. Riga, soldiers and tanks move into city, greeted by crowds; 12. Stukas take off and bomb retreating Russian troops; 13. Map of Libau and Ionava, tanks and infantry advance into town, heavy fighting; 14. Infantry advances, groups of Jews pushed into streets from houses; 15. Shaulyai, troops, artillery take out Russian fortification, German soldiers smile at camera; 16. Lepaja, infantry advances; crowds welcome, give flowers and cigarettes to troops; artillery blows up munitions depot; montage of advancing troops.
1. Civilians volunteer for duty on Russian front; 2. Holland, volunteers parading; 3. Spain, civilians in crowds in street demonstration; 4. Verona, Duce, review of troops; 5. Bucharest, demonstration for Romanian troops leaving for front line; 6. Slovakian troops march in review; 7. Hungarian troops on parade; 8. Map of Finnish-Russian border, Salla, soldiers advance; 9. Russian bomber attack, German flak, German fighters follow bombers; 10. German tanks advance past burning forest; 11. German pilots enter Stukas for bombing run on Russian front; 12. Air crew start fighter, pilot gets in and strafes boat; 13. Map of Romanian border, Romanian troops in heavy fighting; 14. Ukraine, German troops enter town, greeted by cheering crowd; 15. Map of Kiev, German troops, tanks advance past abandoned tanks, artillery on Russian position, Soviet soldiers surrender; 16. Map of Bialystok, Minsk, tanks and infantry cross stream; 17. Engineers build bridge, troops cross, stop for relaxing and eating.
18. Civilians at ruins, tanks advancing; 19. Russian tank advances but is stopped, crew surrenders, German soldiers pursue enemy, Russian tanks examined by Germans; 20. Map of Baltic front, Riga, dead Russians and civilians amid ruins, Jewish old men forced to clean up ruins, hand over Jewish citizens to Germans; 21. Map of Estonia, planes on bombing run and dog fighting; 22. Heavy fighting, troops and tanks advancing, montage of fighting.
1. Paratroops of Crete invasion return home; 2. Belgium, volunteers signing up for service on Eastern Front; 3. Spain, members of Blue Division head to Berlin; 4. Italian troops on train; 5. Map of Ladoga, German tanks, troops and cars advance; 6. Map of Romanian border, bombers on run to Russian railroad; 7. Russian train wreckage; 8. Map of Baltic area, Romanian troops and Slovakian troops advance on Russians; 9. Lviv, bodies of murdered civilians carried by Jews; 10. Waffen SS troops attack a village; 11. Infantry and trucks advance through muddy region; 12. Tanks advance through blockade, wrecked Russian tanks; 13. Map of Minsk, Stukas dive bomb, wrecked tanks; 14. Thousands of Russian prisoners, Jewish soldiers, marched to trains; 15. Showing contrast of slums to nice Soviet government buildings.
16. Troops, tanks advance beyond Minsk, some street fighting; 17. Cars on road to Smolensk; 18. Luftwaffe fighters attack Russian planes; 19. Oberst Molders lands, meets with friends and air crews; 20. Map of Vitebsk, Ulla, Ostrov, Pleskau, soldiers relax and sleep; 21. Infantry, artillery shells Russian bunkers; 22. Engineers cut barbed wire; 23. Russians surrender out of bunkers; 24. Motorcycles advance, cross bridge; 25. Russians surrender; 26. Cars enter city, infantry fighting; 27. Soldiers enter rafts, cross river; 28. Dead horses, tanks advance; 29. Pskov, observation balloon; 30. Tanks and artillery advance; 31. Prisoners forced from house; 32. Burning town; 33. Soldiers eating, smiling; 34. Tanks advance towards Leningrad; 35. Montage of tanks and infantry advancing.
1. Eastern Front, Goering, General Student greet officers of Crete attack; 2. Goering meets with Croatian Vice President; 3. Denmark, Danish volunteers march through city; 4. Spain, Blue Division leaves on train; 5. Italy, Prince Umberto waves goodbye to troops; 6. Germany, Red Cross people in station; 7. Map of Kirkenes, German destroyers on Mirmansk coast; 8. German and Finnish troops advancing; 9. Map of Europe, infantry advancing through woods, some Russians surrender; 10. Dniester River, infantry cross river; 11. Russian prisoners; 12. Ukraine, youth volunteer for German army; 13. Hungarian cavalry advances; 14. Troops crossing temporary bridge; 15. Slovakian and German troops advance; 16. Map of Kiev, Dnieper River, troops cross river; 17. Map of Polotsk, troops advance into city, street fighting; 18. Don River, engineers build bridge; 19. Troops encounter Russian resistance, Russians surrender.
20. Cavalry advance, scorched earth tactics; 21. Infantry advances; 22. Prisoners march back; 23. Vyazma, infantry advances toward town; 24. Map of Baltic states, bombing of railroad; 25. Bodies of dead piled together; 26. SS troops advancing in field; 27. Two prisoners, one wounded; 28. Prisoners sitting; 29. Russian fortifications on fire; 30. Artillery fire on town; 31. Several soldiers and one prisoner; 32. German tank goes past prisoners; 33. Infantry, tanks advance past burning houses; 34. German planes on first bombing of Moscow.
1. Eastern Front, Hitler visits front, meets with officers; 2. Dutch volunteers and families leave on train; 3. Croatia, Croatian troops and civilians volunteer; 4. Italy, Italian trucks leave for Eastern Front; 5. Map of Northern Front, Salla, artillery firing; 6. Map of front line, Romanian and German officers meet; 7. German troops cross river under fire; 8. Russian prisoners; 9. More murdered people, Jews pushed toward camp; 10. Map of Vinnytsa, civilians repair streets, Hungarian troops advancing with tanks; 11. Map of Mogilev and Smolensk, heavy artillery fire; 12. Wrecks of Russian planes; 13. War booty collected; 14. Many Russian prisoners; 15. Infantry advancing, heavy street fighting, take Smolensk.
20. Infantry column marches; 21. German bombers on run over Moscow; 22. Abandoned Russian munitions train; 23. German troops repair telephone wires; 24. Waffen SS, artillery fire; 25. Russians surrender; 26. Repairing streets and bridges; 27. Troops advancing; 28. Russians with white flags; 29. German troops enter burning village; 30. Soldiers tear down barricade; 31. Artillery on Russian positions; 32. Russian planes attack; 33. German fighters take off after Russian planes.
UFA, Ausland, 1939-1945
135 unidentified reels
21 photos of Nazi leaders (including Hitler, Hess, Goering, Goebbels, Donetz, and Rader), as well as photos of Mussolini, undated