Autograph letters, drafts of letters,
notes and inventories written and received by the British archaeologist Sir Charles Fellows.
Fellows's letters include detailed descriptions of his archaeological expeditions to Lycia,
and Xanthus in particular, with references to the Harpy Tomb and the Nereid Monument which
were acquired by the British Museum.
Sir Charles Fellows (1799-1860) was an English explorer and archaeologist, best known for
his expeditions in Asia Minor, especially in the district of ancient Lycia, in present-day
Türkiye (Turkey). During his first journey to this area in 1838, he discovered the ruins of
the ancient town of Xanthus. The publication in 1839 of his journal of this expedition
aroused great interest, particularly at the British Museum, which requested that he bring
artifacts back to England on subsequent voyages. The museum helped arrange a royal decree or
firman from the Sultan to enable Fellows to take away Lycian architectural remnants and
sculpture. The firman was obtained in 1842 while Fellows was on his third expedition to the
area. At the end of that year he shipped 78 cases of architectural remains and sculpture
from Xanthus to the British Museum. In 1844, he extracted an additional 27 cases of
0.5 Linear Feet
(ca. 276 items)
Contact Library Rights and
Open for use by qualified researchers.