Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Scripps Research Institute Office of Public Affairs Records
MSS 0072  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (91.96 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Historical Background
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Publication Rights

  • Descriptive Summary

    Languages: English
    Contributing Institution: Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego
    9500 Gilman Drive
    La Jolla 92093-0175
    Title: Scripps Research Institute Office of Public Affairs Records
    Identifier/Call Number: MSS 0072
    Physical Description: 23.5 Linear feet (41 archives boxes, 1 card file box, and 9 flat boxes)
    Date (inclusive): 1919-1992
    Abstract: Records of the Office of Public Affairs of The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI), a biomedical research, educational and clinical institution first located on Prospect Street in La Jolla, California, and later moved to Torrey Pines mesa. The collection contains public relations materials, including photographs, correspondence, brochures, reports, newspaper clippings, and publications.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    The records of The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) Office of Public Affairs document the growth of a nationally known biomedical facility from its inception in 1924, to its relocation to Torrey Pines mesa in 1976. The collection contains public relations materials, including correspondence, reports, newspaper clippings, publications, and photographs that date from 1919 to 1989, with the majority of materials dating between 1960 and 1980. The photographs provide a valuable visual history of Scripps Clinic. Written materials provide insight into the fundraising and publicity efforts that accompanied TSRI's growth, as well as the image it sought to present to the public.
    The materials are arranged in eleven series: 1) SUBJECT FILES; 2) CONSTRUCTION; 3) FUNDRAISING AND DONATIONS; 4) EVENTS AND PROGRAMS; 5) SPECIAL UNITS AND VOLUNTEER ORGANIZATIONS; 6) HISTORIES, REPORTS AND CORRESPONDENCE; 7) BROCHURES, DIRECTORIES AND HANDBOOKS; 8) REPORTS; 9) NEWSLETTERS, BULLETINS AND CLIPPINGS; 10) PHOTOGRAPHS-1; and 11) PHOTOGRAPHS-2.

    Historical Background

    A philanthropic gift by Ellen Browning Scripps in 1924 led to the foundation of the Scripps Metabolic Clinic on Prospect Street in La Jolla, California. The early clinic was dedicated to research, education and patient treatment in the field of metabolic diseases, especially diabetes. For the first three decades of its existence, the Clinic grew slowly and remained largely outside the mainstream of medical and scientific research being conducted on the East Coast.
    In 1955 Scripps Metabolic Clinic changed its name to the Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation (SCRF) as part of an initiative that propelled the institution to national prominence as an educational and research facility. The recruitment of Dr. Frank Dixon along with virtually his entire department at the University of Pittsburgh to found SCRF's first basic science department-- experimental pathology-- boosted the Institute's standing. Under the leadership of Dr. Edmund Keeney, SCRF expanded throughout the 1960s and 1970s. In 1964, SCRF doubled its size with the completion of the Timkin-Sturgis Research Building behind the La Jolla Clinic.
    In 1976, SCRF relocated to the Torrey Pines facility on land donated by Dow Chemical Company, again doubling the size of the facility. A year later the Research Institute of Scripps Clinic (RISC) was officially designated as a separate corporate entity dedicated to scientific and training programs. SCRF quickly outgrew the Torrey Pines facility and, in conjunction with RISC, sought arrangements with various chemical and pharmaceutical companies, including Johnson and Johnson and PPG Industries Inc., to finance further development and expansion. Such arrangements enabled The Scripps Research Institute to develop a host of facilities including the Anderson Outpatient Pavilion, the Immunology Building, the Molecular Biology Building, and others in the 1980s. Additionally, TSRI now encompasses a network of outpatient clinics throughout San Diego County, with an additional clinic in Riverside County.
    Today TSRI is one of the oldest and largest nonprofit, private medical centers in the United States dedicated to continuing medical education, biomedical research and patient care. The Institute now specializes in the areas of allergy and immunology, cardiology, clinical pathology, dermatology, diabetes, endocrinology, gastroenterology, general medicine, hematology, nephrology, neurology, pulmonary diseases, radiology, and rheumatology.

    Preferred Citation

    Scripps Research Institute Office of Public Affairs Records. MSS 72. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego.

    Acquisition Information

    Acquired 1994, 1995.

    Publication Rights

    Publication rights are held by the creator of the collection.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Hospitals -- California -- San Diego County
    Clinics -- California -- San Diego County
    Medical research personnel -- California
    Medicine research -- California
    Medicine -- California -- San Diego County -- History
    Medical laboratories -- California
    Photographic prints -- 20th century
    Scripps, Ellen Browning, 1836-1932
    Burr, Raymond, 1917-1993
    Sherrill, James W.
    Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation -- History
    Keeney, Edmund L.
    Hastings, A. Baird (Albert Baird), 1895-1987
    Green, Cecil Howard, 1900-2003
    Dixon, Frank J. (Frank James), 1920-2008
    Copley, James S. (James Strohn)
    Scripps Research Institute. Office of Public Affairs -- Archives
    Edwards, Charles C.
    Scripps Research Institute -- History
    Scripps Research Institute -- Planning
    Scripps Research Institute -- Publications
    Scripps Research Institute -- Employees
    Scripps Research Institute -- Buildings
    Scripps Research Institute -- Pictorial works