Convention, board minutes and reports,
club histories, yearbooks, journals, and articles recording the general history and
activities of the California Federation of Women's Club and the individual clubs within the
The California Federation of Women's Clubs (CFWC) is part of an international community
service organization that focuses on projects that "promote education, eliminate illiteracy,
encourage productive citizenship, preserve nations natural resources, encourage healthy
lifestyles, fight to prevent crime, support the Arts, and contribute to international
understanding". The State Federation was founded in January 17, 1900 with forty clubs,
representing six thousand women. Clara Burdette (Mrs. Robert J. Burdette), Los Angeles,
became the first president. In May 1900 the California Federation joined a General
Federation of Women's Clubs, the oldest women's volunteer organization in the United States.
The Federation endorsed and supported the Child Labor Law, which was enacted in 1906. In
that same year, the Federation urged its affiliates to give financial assistance to women
seeking a higher education or industrial training and employment, giving birth to the
scholarship idea. The organization also campaigned for equal suffrage, which was achieved in
a state constitutional amendment election in October 1911. Today this non-profit
organization is divided into twenty-six districts that are governed by a president and an
executive board. It's volunteer based membership covers the cities and towns across the
Copyright for the items in this collection is owned by the creators and their heirs.
Reproduction or distribution of any work protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair
use requires permission from the copyright owner. It is the responsibility of the user to
determine whether a use is fair use, and to obtain any necessary permissions. For more
information see UCSC Special Collections and Archives policy on Reproduction and Use.