Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
San Jose State Normal School Principals and Early Presidents Records
View entire collection guide What's This?
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
The San Jose State Normal School Principals and Early Presidents Records(1862-1915)[bulk 1907-1915], document the early history of the Normal School from 1862-1915. The collection consists of correspondence ledgers, general correspondence, and also includes a diary written by Principal Ahira Holmes in 1862. The diary details the formation of the first State Normal School, and describes the growth of the student body as well as other historically significant events of the early days of the Normal School. The collection is arranged into two series: Series I. Correspondence, 1872-1915; and Series II. Ahira Holmes Diary, 1862.
In 1857 the San Francisco Board of Education established Minns' Evening Normal School for current and prospective teachers in the city. Named after its principal, George W. Minns, the institution was formally established as the first California State Normal School by the State Legislature in 1862. A decade later, the Legislature voted to move the Normal School to San Jose, and the school relocated to its new home on Washington Square prior to the fall term of 1872. After a fire destroyed the Normal School building in 1880, the Legislature authorized $200,000 to construct a new building on the same site. Completed in 1881, the building was commonly referred to as the Second State Normal School. After several names and curriculum changes, Minns' Normal school is now San José State University, offering more than 134 bachelor's and master's degrees with 110 concentrations, and is recognized as one of the top public universities granting such degrees in the West.
4.0 boxes (2.58 linear feet)
Copyright is assigned to the San José State University Library Special Collections & Archives. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Special Collections & Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.
The collection is open for research.