The collection consists of one deed for
eighty acres of land in Indianapolis, Indiana, dated September 30, 1835. The document bears
the signature of Andrew Jackson, who was then the seventh president of the United
After the Revolutionary War, as additional lands were acquired by the United States from
Spain, France, and other countries, Congress directed that they be explored, surveyed, and
made available for settlement. In 1812, Congress established the General Land Office in the
Department of the Treasury to oversee the disposition of these Federal lands. The General
Land Office and the U.S. Grazing Service were consolidated to form the Bureau of Land
Management within the Department of the Interior in 1946.
0.1 Linear Feet
(1 oversized folder)
This document is in the public domain.
The collection is open for research.