This collection comprises municipal
documents and other materials related to the planning and development of the City of Newport
Incorporated in 1906, the City of Newport Beach was initially a small, isolated tourist
destination, with seasonal residents occupying self-supporting villages such as Lido Isle
and the Balboa Peninsula. During the 1940s and 1950s, more permanent residents moved to
Newport Beach due to importation of water from the Colorado River, highway expansion, and
the growing military population.
1.2 Linear Feet
Property rights reside with the University of California. Literary rights are retained by
the creators of the records and their heirs. Some materials are in the public domain. For
permissions to reproduce or to publish, please contact the Head of Special Collections and
The collection is open for research.