Clifton's Cafeteria was opened in downtown Los Angeles in 1931 by Clifford E. Clinton, who also opened several other branches
of his restaurant in later years. Clinton was also active in local politics and an advocate for civil reform. His restaurant
published circulars, beginning in 1931, containing inspirational thoughts, poetry, short prose pieces and a calendar of upcoming
events for customers, first weekly and then monthly. It ceased publication in 1995.
Clifton's Cafeteria was opened at its first location in Los Angeles in 1931 by Clifford E. Clinton (b. Aug. 1900; d. Nov.
1969), a member of the Clinton family of restauranteurs (now spanning many generations). Clinton moved the cafeteria to Broadway
in 1935 and, though a few more satellite cafeterias were opened in later years, the Broadway location has remained in business
ever since that time. Nearly from the outset, Clinton began distributing these sheets of inspirational thoughts, poetry, short
prose pieces and a calendar of upcoming Los Angeles events for his customers. After a slightly irregular start, the circulars
began to be issued weekly in 1932; that frequency was retained for nearly 40 years, changing to monthly only in May of 1971,
just a few years after Clinton's death. The final issue came out in October, 1995, with a note from its editor, Esther York
Burkholder: "Over the years it has been a privilege and a pleasure to share with you bits of wisdom and beauty and humor from
the pens of many writers. ... Until, and if, we eventually resume publication, dear readers, you have our best wishes always".
Throughout the run, the circulars were printed on just one sheet, usually folded in half (lengthwise) to make 4 pages. Up
until 1967, the cafeteria's motto ("A tra-ful for a tri-ful") always appeared somewhere near the title; from 1967-1995 the
motto changed ("Food for the soul is important too"), and began appearing regularly below the title.
Copyright to portions of this collection has been assigned to the UCLA Library Special Collections. The library can grant
permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish must be submitted
in writing to Library Special Collections. Credit shall be given as follows: The Regents of the University of California on
behalf of the UCLA Library Special Collections.