Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Inventory of the Mining Bureau Records, 1882-1905
90-112; 95-11-13  
View entire collection guide What's This?
Search this collection
Collection Details
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Administrative History
  • Collection Scope and Content Summary

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Mining Bureau records,
    Date (inclusive): 1882-1905
    Inventory: 90-112; 95-11-13
    Creator: California State Mining Bureau
    Extent: 20 bound volumes
    Repository: California State Archives
    Sacramento, California
    Abstract: Correspondence and financial records of the California State Mining Bureau
    Language: English.

    Administrative Information


    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives collections.

    Preferred Citation

    Mining Bureau Records, AC 90-112; AC 95-11-13, California State Archives.

    Acquisition Information

    Part of California State Archives collection as of July 2001.

    Administrative History

    The State Mining Bureau was created in 1880 by chapter 105 to collect geological and mineral specimens and to carry out various informational functions relating to mining and geology. At the same time, the office of the State Mineralogist was created. A five-member Board of Trustees of the State Mining Bureau was created in 1885 to direct and control property, money, and the financial affairs of the bureau. (Statutes 1885, chapter 105).
    The role of the State Mining Bureau was expanded in 1893 by chapter 173 of that year. It repealed the 1880 and 1885 laws and created a new State Mining Bureau and Board of Trustee. The Board would supervise and approve the activities of the bureau and State Mineralogist. The law was again re-written in 1913 (chapter 679) and the Board of Trustee was abolished. In 1927 the Department of Natural Resources was created by chapter 128. At this time, the powers and duties of the State Mineralogist and State Mining Bureau were assigned to the Division of Mines within this new department.

    Collection Scope and Content Summary

    This collection consists of 20 bound volumes dating from 1882 to 1905. The two most significant of these are the two letterpress books of correspondence by the State Mineralogist and the Secretary of the Board of Trustees of the State Mining Bureau. The correspondence are with scientists, miners, mine owners, and publications and reflect the daily work of the State Mining Bureau. The other volumes are generally of an accounting nature and contain interesting information on the expenses of the bureau.