Finding Aid to a Centennial Exhibit from the Nine Campuses of the University of California, 1868-1968

Finding aid written by Bancroft Library staff
The Bancroft Library
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
Phone: (510) 642-6481
Fax: (510) 642-7589
© 2004
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Finding Aid to a Centennial Exhibit from the Nine Campuses of the University of California, 1868-1968

Collection number: UARC PIC 1900

The Bancroft Library

University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
Phone: (510) 642-6481
Fax: (510) 642-7589
Finding Aid Author(s):
Finding aid written by Bancroft Library staff
Finding Aid Encoded By:
© 2009 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Collection Summary

Collection Title: A centennial exhibit from the nine campuses of the University of California
Date (inclusive): 1868-1968
Collection Number: UARC PIC 1900
Creators: University of California (System). Centennial Publications Office.
Extent: 57 photographic prints 57 digital objects
Repository: The Bancroft Library
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
Phone: (510) 642-6481
Fax: (510) 642-7589
Abstract: Exhibit shown at various University of California campuses in 1968
Languages Represented: Collection materials are in English
Physical Location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Information for Researchers


Collection open for research.

Publication Rights

All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley 94720-6000. Consent is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and does not constitute permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner. See:
Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], A centennial exhibit from the nine campuses of the University of California, UARC PIC 1900, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley

Indexing Terms

The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog
University of California (System)--Centennial celebrations, etc.
University of California (System)--History.
University of California (System)--Pictorial works.

Administrative Information

Acquisition Information

Internal university transfer, ca. 1969.

Processing Information

Processed by The Bancroft Library staff.

Scope and Contents Note

This collection of fifty-seven images is a brief photographic survey of the history of the University of California from its inception until 1968, prepared at the time of its centennial in that year.
The photographs were selected mainly from those assembled for The University of California: a Pictorial History, by Albert G. Pickerell and May Dornin, published in 1968, which contains several hundred images from various sources. Sources of the photographs are not noted on these reproductions.
Apparently three sets of these photographs were prepared, mounted and captioned for exhibit on the various campuses of the university in 1968-1969. Captions have been transcribed as found with the pictures, except for a few obvious errors or inconsistencies. It is assumed that this was a project of the University's Centennial Publications Office.

Container Listing


College of California. Founded in 1855, the College of California in downtown Oakland was the predecessor of the University. After the University was chartered in 1868, classes were held at this site until 1873. UARC PIC 1900.01


Berkeley campus. The first four-year class to enter the University was known as 'The Twelve Apostles' and graduated in 1873. Seated: G. Edwards, L. Hawkins, F. Rhoda, E. Scott, G. Ainsworth, J. Bolton; standing: J. Reinstein, F. Otis, J. Budd (governor of California, 1895-99), T. Woodward, C. Wetmore, N. Newmark. UARC PIC 1900.02


Berkeley campus. View of campus in 1888 from corner of Dana Street and Allston Way. Picket fence was campus limits along Strawberry Creek. Buildings left to right: North Hall, Mining Building, Bacon Library, South Hall, and Harmon Gymnasium. UARC PIC 1900.03


Berkeley campus. Lecture classroom in South Hall in 1898. UARC PIC 1900.04


Berkeley campus. Civil engineering students in their 'junior plug hats' in 1898. Distinctive garb was a tradition of each class. Hats were colorfully decorated by their owners. UARC PIC 1900.05


Berkeley campus. Card stunts started at the Big Game between California and Stanford in 1908 using colored hats. Photo shows first stunts using stiff cardboard in 1915 in Berkeley rooting section. UARC PIC 1900.06


Berkeley campus. The Greek Theatre was filled in September 1919 to give President Woodrow Wilson a tumultuous welcome. Seated with Wilson is President Emeritus Benjamin Ide Wheeler. UARC PIC 1900.07


Berkeley campus. The 1920 Wonder Team-described as the greatest college football team of all time, was undefeated in 5 years. This 1920 team, coached by Andy Smith, scored 510 points for the season against 14 for its opponents and climaxed its record with a 28-0 victory over Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. UARC PIC 1900.08


Berkeley campus. With the completion of Sather Gate in 1913, Telegraph Avenue and Allston Way became a spot for student rallies. It took on added significance as a 'Hyde Park' in the mid-1930s. Pictured is a September 1940 rally to oppose military conscription. UARC PIC 1900.09


Berkeley campus. On September 17, 1923, a grass fire, driven by the wind, quickly became a holocaust sweeping down on the homes surrounding the campus. UARC PIC 1900.10


Berkeley campus. Led by Edwin C. Voorhies, University marshal, Harry Truman, President of the United States (left) and University President Sproul, the academic procession enters the California Memorial Stadium for the commencement exercises of 1948. UARC PIC 1900.11


Mt. Hamilton. Beginning with a few buildings in 1888, a series of observatories have been constructed along the summit ridge of Mt. Hamilton, located a few miles southeast of San Jose. UARC PIC 1900.12


Berkeley campus. During the 1930s Ernest Lawrence and associates built accelerators of increasing size and energy. Lawrence is pictured in 1938 at the controls of the 37-inch cyclotron in the old radiation laboratory on campus. UARC PIC 1900.13


Berkeley campus. The bevatron, pictured in 1965 shortly before major modifications. The bevatron, built with AEC funds, has been a world center for study in high-energy and nuclear physics. UARC PIC 1900.14


Berkeley campus. April 22, 1960 ceremony at Founders' Rock noted the beginning of Contra Costa Academy. Left to right: Regent Donald McLaughlin, Governor Brown, President Clark Kerr. UARC PIC 1900.15


Berkeley campus. The number of Berkeley's Nobel Laureates gathered for this 1960 photograph. They are from left to right with date of Nobel award: Owen Chamberlain (1959), Edwin M. McMillan (1951), William F. Giauque (1949), John H. Northrup (1946), Wendell M. Stanley (1946), Emilio G. Segre (1959), and Glenn T. Seaborg (1951). UARC PIC 1900.16


Los Angeles campus. The predecessor of the UCLA campus was the Vermont Avenue campus, established in 1914 as the Normal School. In 1919 it became the Southern Branch of the university. Millspaugh Hall was the center of student and administrative activity, and occasionally an outdoor assembly. UARC PIC 1900.17


Los Angeles campus. In 1925 a site in Westwood was selected for the new Southern Branch campus. Los Angeles citizens raised a million dollars to purchase the 383 acre parcel of land. UARC PIC 1900.18


Los Angeles campus. The UCLA campus as it appeared in 1929 when instruction began on the new campus. Enrollment totaled 6,175. Buildings around the central court were Royce Hall, Library, Kinsey Hall, Haines Hall, Moore Hall is under construction. UARC PIC 1900.19


Los Angeles campus. Light stunts were originated by UCLA rooting section in 1930s and later developed with a card stunt technique in 1953. Colored light stunts are special trademark of UCLA at night football games. UARC PIC 1900.20


Los Angeles campus. Two of the world's greatest athletes came from the cinder track of UCLA. In the 1960 Olympics in Rome, Rafer Johnson (right) and C. K. Yang (left) finished first and second, with the highest decathlon scores in history. Johnson had been runner-up in the 1956 Olympics. Shown with UCLA Coach Drake. UARC PIC 1900.21


Los Angeles campus. Three national basketball titles in four years - 1964, 1965 and 1967. Shown here are Bruins accepting the NCAA trophy by downing Dayton in the final at Louisville, 79 to 64. UARC PIC 1900.22


Los Angeles campus. Principal speaker at Charter Day exercises on April 2, 1963 was former President Dwight D. Eisenhower, here being escorted by Chancellor Murphy to an alumni reception. UARC PIC 1900.23


Los Angeles campus. One of the most widely known UCLA scientists is Dr. Willard F. Libby, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1960 for development of the carbon-14 'atomic time clock' method of dating the age of fossils. He now directs the University-wide Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics. UARC PIC 1900.24


Los Angeles campus. Commencement in June 1965 was also the dedication of Pauley Pavilion and Memorial Activities Center on UCLA campus. UARC PIC 1900.25


Los Angeles campus. The aerial photograph shows the amazing development since 1929. Left center are four large residence halls, while in the center is the 13,000-seat Pauley Pavilion. On the upper right are seen the concentrated buildings of the central campus, dominated at the upper tip by the high-rise Dickson Art Center and the Social Sciences Building. On the lower part is the interlocking complex of the Center for the Health Sciences. UARC PIC 1900.26


Davis campus. Davis Picnic Day in 1920 brought hundreds of alumni and friends to the campus. Parking was provided in fields now used as central campus. Building at right is West Hall, long used as a student residence hall. UARC PIC 1900.27


Davis campus. The Davis Farm as it appeared in early 1920s. The main buildings were clustered around a central field planted to alfalfa, later to become the Quadrangle. UARC PIC 1900.28


Davis campus. Shelved in the wine cellar at Davis are samples of the U.C. vintages dating back to the 1930s. A number of the quality wines now important in California industry were created in the Department of Viticulture and Enology. UARC PIC 1900.29


Davis campus. A 1947 photo shows elephant trains used for Picnic Day transportation and other special events on the Davis campus. The annual Picnic Day program draws 60,000 people to the campus each April. UARC PIC 1900.30


Davis campus. Bicycles provide traditional campus transportation. Library walkway contains time capsules placed by each graduating class since 1915. UARC PIC 1900.31


San Francisco campus. The S. F. Medical Center traces its history to 1864 to Toland Medical College. In 1873 the college was presented to the University. This original building was located at Stockton and Chestnut Streets opposite the San Francisco City Hospital. UARC PIC 1900.32


San Francisco campus. A class in operative surgery was conducted in 1894 in the operating theater of the old San Francisco City and County Hospital. UARC PIC 1900.33


San Francisco campus. First University Hospital was established in 1907 in the Medical School Building. The pictured University of California Hospital was constructed with private funds and opened in 1917. UARC PIC 1900.34


San Francisco campus. Up-to-date medical facilities and techniques are made available to rural areas with the mobile clinic constructed and operated by U. C. Medical Center faculty and students. Mobile clinic was developed in 1965. UARC PIC 1900.35


San Francisco campus. Medical Center at the edge of San Francisco's Sutro Forest as it appeared in 1966. Tall buildings in center are Moffitt Hospital, Medical Sciences Building and Health Sciences and Instructional Research Buildings. UARC PIC 1900.36


Riverside campus. On March 27, 1918, citrus growers, scientists, and civic leaders met to dedicate the Citrus Experiment Station and Graduate School of Tropical Agriculture. Site was a 471-acre tract on the western slopes of Box Springs Mountain. UARC PIC 1900.37


Riverside campus. In the fall of 1955 the old Citrus Experiment Station Barn, built in 1916, was converted into a coffee shop. Horse stalls were retained and form booths for the popular student eating place. UARC PIC 1900.38


Riverside campus. Humanities Court, a busy place between classes, is typical of colorful buildings of modern campus. College of Letters and Science opened in 1954. UARC PIC 1900.39


Riverside campus. The 161 foot Carillon Tower was built in 1966 and rises above the beautiful and modern classrooms of the 1200 acre campus. UARC PIC 1900.40


San Diego campus. First building constructed was completed in 1910, a two-story cement structure containing three laboratories, a small library amd a public aquarium-museum. The structure was designated the George H. Scripps Building in memory of Miss Scripps' deceased brother. UARC PIC 1900.41


San Diego campus. The Institution as it appeared in the early 1920s. Large building in the center is the library dedicated in 1916. That same year the thousand-foot pier had been completed. UARC PIC 1900.42


San Diego campus. In 1959, the San Diego City Council offered the University a gift of 500 acres of pueblo land above La Jolla, the area was designated by the Regents to become a general campus of the University. Ground-breaking exercises in May 1961 marked the beginning of construction of the School of Science and Engineering Building. UARC PIC 1900.43


San Diego campus. Formal academic ceremonies inaugurating John S. Galbraith as chancellor were held November 5, 1965. The inaugural ceremonies were held in the plaza east of Urey Hall. Main speaker was Dr. Fred H. Harrington, president of the University of Wisconsin. UARC PIC 1900.44


San Diego campus. Revelle College (center of photo) is first of 12 colleges to be built on the 1,000-acre campus. The Second College, which will also accommodate 1,500 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate students, is located across the road (right of Revelle College). UARC PIC 1900.45


San Diego campus. Nobel Prize awarded to Maria Goeppert Mayer, only woman besides Marie Curie (1903) to win the coveted Nobel Prize for physics, for work on the shell model for atomic nuclei. Photograph, taken in December 1963, shows Mrs. Mayer approaching the King of Sweden to receive Nobel medal. UARC PIC 1900.46


Davis campus. This 1967 aerial photograph looks to the northwest and shows Solano Park, married student apartments, in the foreground. The central campus area circles the open, tree-lined quadrangle. UARC PIC 1900.47


Santa Barbara campus. In 1909 Blake School became the Santa Barbara State Manual Training School, devoted exclusively to teacher training in manual arts and home economics. In 1913 the school relocated hear the old mission on a 14 acre site known as the Riviera campus. Pictured is the first commencement held May 1913 in front of the unfinished quad. UARC PIC 1900.48


Santa Barbara campus. In 1919 the school became Santa Barbara State Normal School, in 1921 the name was changed to State Teachers College and in 1935 the school became Santa Barbara State College. In 1944 the college was transferred to the university, and 1,464 students went through the registrations lines of the new university campus in 1949. UARC PIC 1900.49


Santa Barbara campus. In February 1948 a faculty committee recommended a new campus be established on an ocean front Marine Air Base nine miles west of Santa Barbara. In October 1948 the federal government turned over the base to the university for $1.00. Building started in 1952. UARC PIC 1900.50


Santa Barbara campus. Broad walkways are typical of the modern Santa Barbara campus. The Santa Ynez mountains form a backdrop here for North Hall, Administration Building and Campbell Hall. UARC PIC 1900.51


Santa Cruz campus. First commencement ceremonies at UCSC were June 11, 1967. Scene was the Upper Quarry. Faculty and graduating seniors of Stevenson College march in the traditional academic processing behind the college banner. UARC PIC 1900.52


Santa Cruz campus. Aerial view (June 1967) depicts only about one-tenth of the 2,000 acre campus. In the lower left are the trailers which served as temporary housing; above them are the central services (administration), library and natural sciences buildings. Cowell College in center, with Stevenson College to the lower right. Crown College is above and to the right of Cowell. UARC PIC 1900.53


Irvine campus. The new campus came into being in 1961 when 1,000 acres were offered to the university by the Irvine Ranch Company. New campus design on the rolling fields was directed by William Pereira and Associates. UARC PIC 1900.54


Irvine campus. Classes opened in fall 1965. Academic buildings partly ring campus park from which future structures will radiate in a spoke-like fashion. Completed buildings are: Science Lecture Hall, Natural Science, Fine Arts, Humanities-Social Science, The Commons, and Administration-Library Building. To right of center are the Mesa Court residence halls. UARC PIC 1900.55


Irvine campus. Dedication ceremonies for the new campus were conducted on June 20, 1964, with President Lyndon B. Johnson as principal speaker. UARC PIC 1900.56


Berkeley campus. On March 23, 1962, President John F. Kennedy addressed the university's largest audience at Charter Day ceremonies in Memorial Stadium. In the procession with President Kennedy is University President Clark Kerr followed by President Emeritus Robert B. Sproul. UARC PIC 1900.57