The papers and scrapbooks of the Goodman and Levy families of El Paso, Texas, Nashville, Tennessee, and the San Francisco
Estelle Goodman Levy was born in El Paso, Texas, where her father, Aaron, owned the Lion Grocery Company. Her grandfather,
Parez Levy, was an optician in Nashville, Tennessee. She attended Science Hall in Shelbyville, Kentucky and graduated from
Throop Academy in Pasadena, now the California Institute of Technology, in 1910. Estelle returned to El Paso and married Charles
Levy in 1916. She was active in the political, civic, social, historical, philanthropic and Jewish life of El Paso and the
Southwest, belonging to Mount Sinai Temple and many other local organizations including: the National Council of Jewish Women;
the Texas State Federation of Sisterhoods; the Women’s Club of El Paso; the Red Cross; the Parent Teachers Association; and
the Cloudcraft Recreation Camp baby sanitarium. With Isidore Bernard and Fanny Sattinger Goodman, two of her relatives, Estelle
supported the El Paso Historical Society and contributed articles to its quarterly. Estelle Levy’s daughter, Amelia Rose,
moved to Oakland, California in 1966 and married Edgar Guy Lemmon, Jr. in 1967.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head
of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-6000. Consent is given on behalf of The
Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright
owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner. See: http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/reference/permissions.html.