The Edward A. Rogers collection is the largest known vestige of the archive of the Cardinell-Vincent Company, the official
photographers of the Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1915. It comprises approximately 6,700 photographic prints
housed in albums, 2,166 glass negatives, 124 film negatives, and 115 panoramic film negatives. The great majority of images
document the exposition throughout its 1915 run, but some commercial photographs taken by Cardinell-Vincent date from the
decade after the fair. During the construction period in 1913 and 1914 the exposition's photographic contract was held by
H.S. Crocker & Co., and a significant number of their images are present.
The Panama-Pacific International Exposition (PPIE) of 1915, located on San Francisco Bay just inside the Golden Gate, was
a world's fair celebrating the opening of the Panama Canal and all the progress in industry and commerce suggested by such
an occasion. It also marked the rebirth of San Francisco a mere nine years after the devastation of the 1906 earthquake and
fire. Participants in the fair included thirty-two states and U.S. territories and twenty-eight foreign countries.
Approximately 9,100 photographs
Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction
of some materials may be restricted by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions,
privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be
commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Collection is open for research.