Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid to Mount Zion Hospital and Medical Center Records, 1887-2006 (bulk 1910 - 1980)
BANC MSS 2010/616  
View entire collection guide What's This?
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
This collection contains minutes, bylaws, correspondence, departmental records, reports, financial records, publications, photographs, slides, audio tapes, books and memorabilia covering Mount Zion Hospital Association and successor institutions from its formation in 1887 up to its merger with the University of California San Francisco in 1992. Except for a few ledgers from the 1910s and 1920s (and a Radiology ledger from the 1940s) this collection does not contain patient records. For more information on Mount Zion, see also the extensive files in the collection of former board president, Rhoda Goldman.
The Mount Zion Hospital records were donated by the hospital in 1992 and additional materials were received in early 2000. Processing was done by at least two archivists over a period of years and was completed in 2000 by Julia Bazar with the assistance of Eda Regan and Eileen Adams. Intern Laura Hollander assisted with the photographs.Mount Zion Hospital Association was founded in 1887 "for the purpose of aiding the indigent sick without regard to race or creed, to be supported by the Jewish community." It opened its first hospital ten years later in 1897 and functioned as a private non-profit institution until its merger with UCSF in 1992. A subsequent merger of UCSF with Stanford Hospital was dissolved in 1999. During this period Mount Zion was more fully integrated into UCSF, closed its Emergency Room and ceased being a Jewish hospital.The Mount Zion Ladies Auxiliary was founded in 1897 with the opening of the first hospital. Later called the Women’s Auxiliary, it dropped the gender designation from its name in the 1970s in order to welcome men into its ranks. The auxiliary at first provided linens, ran the hospital kitchen, and provided other valuable services. Eventually the women’s organizing power was recognized: the president of the auxiliary became a voting member of the Board of Directors and auxiliary members were appointed to board committees. Over the years the auxiliary took on a number of different tasks including responsibility for major fundraising campaigns, the training and provision of volunteers in a number of capacities including patient and family services. The auxiliary, at times, ran a gift shop, a coffee shop, and a travel desk.
155 boxes, 45 oversize boxes, 7 volumes, 6 cardfile boxes, 1 oversize folder (84 linear feet)
RESTRICTIONS: A small amount of material has been restricted, due to possibly sensitive materials. Box 50, folders 1-10, are closed to research until JANUARY 1, 2029. Box 50, folder 11, is closed to research until JANUARY 1, 2032.