Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Abby Sher collection regarding Edgemar, 1984-2009 0000351
0000351  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.82 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The Edgemar collection contains materials collected by Abby Sher regarding the history of the property, from the time that it was Edgemar Farm (starting in 1908), until she purchased the property in 1983. The collection mainly contains materials regarding her correspondence with the City of Santa Monica and the formation of the Santa Monica Museum of Art. Architectural plans include those by Frank O. Gehry & Associates, Michael Brothers, Samuel Becker, and electrical and mechanical plans for various buildings on the site. A collection of photographs of the site, and a collection of materials pertaining to events and festivals held in and around the Edgemar property are also included. Newspaper clippings, audio and video tapes, and promotional materials are part of the collection.
Background
The Edgemar Center, located at 2415-2449 Main Street in Santa Monica, is a mixed-use shopping and arts center. Its developer was Abby Sher, a local resident who was part of a family of real estate developers. The property was originally developed in 1908 as an ice storage facility by the Imperial Ice Company which built two warehouses in 1908 and 1928. In the 1940s it became an egg processing plant for a dairy company, Santa Monica Dairy Company, whose name was later changed to Edgemar Farms. Abby Sher purchased the property in 1984, after the dairy company was sold. Sher wanted to develop a mixed-use shopping center and arts museum to draw people to new and contemporary art who would not ordinarily visit a stand-alone museum. The design and construction of the original buildings and addition of new buildings was given to Frank O. Gehry & Associates. After planning and site use issues with the city of Santa Monica, the development opened in 1989. The Santa Monica Museum of Art was housed in the original warehouse space from 1989 until 1996. The museum space was altered to become a theater, and other uses include offices, retail, restaurants, artist lofts, and parking.
Extent
40.0 Linear feet (33 rolls, 24 boxes; 2 architecture models and 1 maquette for holiday tree)
Availability
Partially processed collection, open for use by qualified researchers.