Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Jones (Henry) Diaries
mssHM 83955-83964  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (58.14 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
Diaries of Henry Jones, a Quaker farmer and abolitionist, of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania from 1837-1871.
Henry Jones (1816-1910) was a Quaker farmer and abolitionist from Upper Dublin, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Jones' parents, Henry Jones and Jane Lewis, were descendants of Welsh Quakers who settled in the area in the 1680s. Jones was the youngest of four boys, born five months after the death of his father in October 1815. His brothers were: Lewis (b. 1806), Clement (b. 1808), and John L. (b. 1811). In 1821, the family relocated to Mrs. Lewis' parents' three farms in Three Tuns in Montgomery County. After their mother's death in 1840, Lewis took over his father's homestead and the other brothers remained in Three Tuns, dividing the three farms between them. Henry in partnership with his brother, Clement, managed the Upper Dublin farms, operated a mill, and kept a general store in Gwynedd, Pennsylvania. In the late 1850s, Henry gave up the store and devoted himself to farming; he later sold the farm. He married Margaret Yerkes Shoemaker (1828-1896) in 1850. The couple had no children. As a committed abolitionist, Jones regularly attended anti-slavery meetings. He was also a member of the Hicksite Society of Friends. In 1870, he obtained an appointment to run a trading post in Nemaha, Nebraska and returned to Pennsylvania in the mid-1870s, where he remained until his death.
1 Linear Feet (1 box)
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from or publish images of this material, nor does it charge fees for such activities. The responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and obtaining necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department. For more information, contact Reader Services.