Eisner College of Education Collection
consists of the records of the college, and
previous education courses offered throughout CSUN's history. Records include
correspondence, accreditation reports, annual reports, department meeting agendas, program
brochures, event fliers, newsletters, handbooks, course information, and histories of the
college and education in the San Fernando Valley.
Education courses were first offered in Northridge in 1955, with the establishment of the
college campus as a branch of Los Angeles State College. The Division of Education offered
credentials and master's degree courses largely in elementary education, and was the largest
division on campus. In 1958, when the campus separated from Los Angeles State College to
become San Fernando Valley State College, the Division of Education began offering
additional courses to train secondary school teachers. The Division was reorganized in 1964
to become the School of Education, with departments in Educational Administration,
Psychological Foundations, Elementary Education, Secondary Education, Social and
Philosophical Foundations, and Special Education. In 2003, the School of Education was
renamed the Michael D. Eisner College of Education in honor of a donation made by The Eisner
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of
this collection belongs to California State University, Northridge. Copyright status for
other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S.
Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written
permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially
exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests
exclusively with the user.
The collection is open for research use.