The City of Paris was a San Francisco department store owned and operated by the Verdier family from 1850-1972.
City of Paris was a San Francisco department store owned and operated by the Verdier family from 1850-1972. Founded by Felix
and Emile Verdier, the brothers first sold imported French goods off their ship, "La Ville de Paris," before locating their
headquarters in San Francisco. The store occupied many locations over the years, but is known for their flagship store, located
at Geary and Stockton on Union Square in San Francisco. To make room for Neiman Marcus the City of Paris building was demolished
in 1976 but preserved the City of Paris dome. The dome survives as part of the Neiman Marcus building.
1 carton, 1 pamphlet box, 1 bully box, 15 scrapbooks.
(14 Linear Feet)
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk
hours. Collections that are stored offsite should be requested 48 hours in advance.