Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Cal State LA Pictures of Our Past
2016.002  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.56 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
2 In the 1850s, the Batz family acquired Rancho Rosa Castilla, the land that would eventually be home to California State University, Los Angeles. Los Angeles State College was opened in 1947 on the Vermont Avenue campus of Los Angeles City College. It was presided over by LACC President P. Victor Peterson and produced its first graduating class in 1948. In 1949, LASC underwent the first of three name changes, becoming Los Angeles State College of Applied Arts & Sciences. Howard S. McDonald became the first full-time president. The campus was moved to its current location in 1955. Albert Graves became the third president in 1962 and was succeeded by Franklyn A. Johnson the following year. Johnson presided over a second name change to California State College at Los Angeles before he was succeeded by John E. Greenlee in 1966. During Greenlee’s time, CSCLA established the country’s first Chicano Studies Department in 1968. The campus also expanded exponentially. In 1972, CSCLA received university classification and was renamed to California State University, Los Angeles. After Greenlee retired in 1979, James M. Rosser became the sixth university president. He is the longest serving president to date and presided over a period of change and prosperity for Cal State LA. In 1981, the mascot was changed from the Diablo to the Golden Eagle. New facilities were also built including student housing and the Metrolink Station in 1994. Cal State LA also had the historic honor of being the site of the 1984 Olympiad judo events. An Olympic mural by Guillermo “Bill” Granizo was also installed. The university celebrated its 40th anniversary in 1987 and mourned the loss of a student in a devastating earthquake the same year. In 1990, Cal State LA’s Engineering and Technology Department broke ground with the first Solar Eagle, a solar-powered electric car that would go on to win national recognition for the university. From the university’s beginning to today, Cal State LA faculty, students, and alumni have earned recognition worldwide.
Extent
46.1 linear ft.
Restrictions
Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Availability
Access is available by appointment for Cal State LA student and faculty researchers as well as independent researchers.