Collection of 571 black & white 5x7" photographic negatives produced by Bersano Studio of Santa Clara, located at 787 Franklin
Street, and operated by Angelo C. Bersano. Many images depict the Italian and Portuguese communities, and include portraits,
Holy Communion remembrances, schools, local businesses, dairy farms, butane gas installations, and threshing operations.
According to City Directories, Angelo C. Bersano is listed as the proprietor of the studio from 1926-1947, after which the
business appears to have been taken over by a different operator. The 1947 directory advertises the studio as operated by
Clifford E. Donahue, "Oldest Studio in Santa Clara County, Opposite Santa Clara University, Wedding, Children's and Glamour
Photography Our Specialty". The business is not listed in 1949-50 directory. Eleanor Bersano is also listed as a photo finisher,
and Florence Bersano as a clerk.
Please contact the Curator of Library & Archives for questions regarding reproduction and publication.
The negatives are not open to the public; all have been scanned and can be viewed through History San Jose's online catalog.