The Norman F. Martin, S.J. papers, 1950-2006 (bulk 1970-1995), document Fr. Martin's personal and professional life as a Jesuit
and a professor of history at Santa Clara University, starting with his graduate education in Mexico and culminating in his
death at the age of 91. The records consist of letters, lecture notes, class syllabi, scrapbooks, awards, academic degrees,
and newspaper clippings. The papers are arranged into five series: Series I. Lecture Materials and Syllabi 1958-1979 (bulk
1971-1977); Series II. Correspondence, Research Materials, and Miscellaneous Papers, 1950-2004 (bulk 1965-2000); Series III.
Scrapbooks and Awards, 1950-2006 (bulk 1985-1995), Series IV. Audio-Visual Materials, 2004; and Series V. Monasterio de Nuestra
Señora de los Remedios Manuscripts, 1760-1877 (bulk 1760-1788).
Fr. Norman F. Martin, S.J. was born on July 8, 1914 in Half Moon Bay, California. He attended Santa Clara University for two
years before entering the Society of Jesus on July 30, 1935. Fr. Martin went on to graduate from Santa Clara in 1937. After
briefly teaching at Santa Clara and acting as a dorm prefect, Fr. Martin spent most of the next fourteen years abroad living
in Nicaragua, Colombia, Argentina and Mexico. Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California's oldest operating
institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original
21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank
until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law
were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and
Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty
tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence
halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the
undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for
generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name. Bibliography: Santa Clara University. "About SCU – History." www.scu.edu/about/history.cfm (Accessed Nov. 23, 2010) McKevitt, Gerald, S.J.
The University of Santa Clara: A History, 1851-1977. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, 1979.
8.84 linear feet
Materials in Archives & Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives & Special
Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.
Box 3: Grading Sheets and Grading Books is restricted and not available to the public.