Lions Club International was formed in 1917 and is the largest volunteer service organization in the world, with headquarters
in Chicago. The first Lions Club in San Diego was chartered in 1922 with 52 members. It was the 441st club of Lions International
and originally an all-male organization. The Lions Club works to support various charitable and service-oriented causes around
San Diego County including children and seniors programs, aid to the physically disabled and the armed services, and has a
particular focus on increasing the availability of resources for the blind. The Banks Pocket Braille Writer, developed by
Dr. Alfred E. Banks of San Diego, was produced and distributed worldwide by this Club after World War II. In 1977 Lions International
had over one million members. In 2008, the organization had 1.3 million men and women in 202 countries and geographic areas.