This collection consists of six (6) Southern Pacific Locomotive Engineer Register Books for Carrizozo, New Mexico from November
10, 1925 - December 21, 1926.
James Douglas and Daniel Willis James were majority co-owners of the trading firm Phelps, Dodge and Co. Douglas formed the
Arizona and South Eastern Railroad in 1888. The railroad ran on a short spur of track from Bisbee to Fairbank, Arizona, where
it met the mainline of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Shortly thereafter the line was extended to Benson, Arizona,
to connect with the Southern Pacific Railroad. In 1900 the railroad was extended to Douglass, Arizona to the Copper Queen
Consolidated newly built smelter. The line was renamed the El Paso and Southwestern Railroad on June 25, 1901. Carrizozo
was selected as the site for a station on the El Paso and Northeastern Railway (EP&NE) main line in 1899. The El Paso and
Southwestern Railroad was a short-line American railway company which operated in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas, with line
extensions across the international border into Mexico. The railroad was known as the Arizona and South Eastern Railroad from
1888 to 1902.