The records of the SIO Staff Council document the Council's organization, membership, and the areas of oversight.
Since the founding of Scripps Institution of Oceanography in 1903, staff meetings have been held regularly in one format or
another. Founding Director William E. Ritter preferred formal, weekly meetings that included faculty, staff, and visitors.
During the 1920s, several administrative committees were formed by the Director, and representatives of these committees participated
in the formal weekly meetings. In 1936, Director Harald Sverdrup began organizing informal, weekly staff luncheons, and this
practice continued until 1960. By 1957, however, Director Roger Revelle felt the need for a more formal organization.