The Laan Tau (Lantau) Mountain Camp was
a retreat above the city of Hong Kong dating back to 1925, which consisted of a number of
stone cabins owned by both individuals and church organizations, and which served as a
well-loved vacation spot for many foreigners in Hong Kong. The collection consists of the
records of the Mountain Camp's Residents' Association, which includes meeting minutes,
financial statements, records of building repairs, lists of owners, and correspondence
related to the organization and management of the camp. Also included in the collection is a
history of the Hongkong & Yaumati Ferry which took people to the Lantau island as well
as a brief history of the camp from its inception to the 1970s compiled by Carter Morgan and
including notes by Jean Moore, Mrs. D. Shilston, and G.S. Kennedy-Skipton.
The Laan Tau (Lantau) Mountain Camp was built in 1925, in the mountains above Hong Kong, as
a retreat for foreigners to escape the hot humid summers of South China. The camp consisted
of a number of small stone huts, and over the years expanded to include a mess hall,
swimming pool, watchman's house and a house for laborers that served the camp. The camp
closed during World War II and the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong, and most of the
buildings were heavily damaged during this period. They were repaired after the war, and the
camp continued to house church groups and other vacationers throughout the 1970s and 1980s.
The camp is now owned by the Methodist Church of Hong Kong.
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of
this collection has not been transferred to California State University, Northridge.
Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials
protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires
the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be
commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any
use rests exclusively with the user.
The collection is open for research use.