The Placer County Archives maintains a collection memorabilia, images, letters and documents relating to the extended family
of patriarch Bernhard Bernhard.
Bernhard Bernhard was born in the Grand Duchy of Hesse-Cassel, Germany in 1833. He came to California and Placer County in
1852. Bernhard was a successful teamster, hauling freight throughout the mountain areas surrounding Auburn. In 1868, he and
his wife, Rosa purchased about thirty acres and the former home of Eliza Carruthers on the Sacramento Road. Prior to Ms. Carruthers
ownership, John Long and George Bishop ran a successful hotel and stage stop, called The Traveler’s Rest, encompassing the
main building and surrounding property.
Bernhard took over the existing orchard and vineyard and made superior wine and brandy. He was highly regarded in the community.
At his passing, the home and property passed into the hands of his children and then grandchildren.
In 1958, the property was sold to the 20th District Agricultural Association. By 1963, the local paper was announcing: “The
Historic Traveler’s Rest Appears Doomed.” The Association let the property fall into disrepair and did not have the funds
to repair it, it seemed that it would be torn down.
The community was alarmed and galvanized to action with this news. The Placer County Historical Museum Foundation was formed
to raise money for the restoration of the property. The property was sold to Placer County in 1973. Through the hard work
of dozens of volunteers, donations, federal grants and state funds, the Bernhard House Museum opened its doors to the public
on July 1, 1982.
The Collection is open for research by appointment. Appointment times are available on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays from