Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Fine Arts Department Records, Academic Departments and Schools, American Jewish University Archives (Institutional Records)
CaLaAJUL1_8  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (116.39 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
 
 
Table of contents What's This?

Container List

Box 16

Subseries: 5.4:
Fine Arts Department 1953-1960

Physical Description: 1 Folder
Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the School of Fine Arts (1961-1972), see Box 16.

Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the Fine Arts Program (1973-), see Box 15.

Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the Museum, see Box 22.

Scope and Content Note

This subseries contains materials related to the Fine Arts Department and Committee, while it was under the School of Education and the University Institute, and before it became the School of Fine Arts.
Variant Names: Fine Arts Program; Fine Arts Committee.

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: From 1949, originally under the School of Education and the University Institute, the Fine Arts Department/Program offered courses in drama, dance, music, and annually presented public performances utilizing the creative talents of Jewish artists and writers. It was fist headed by Benjamin Zemach, and Max Helfman joined in the early 60s and later became the Dean of the School of Fine Arts. At the Ardmore Campus and the Sunset Campus, Zemach directed a theater and dance company that put on many successful shows. In 1953, for example, the University's Production and the Concert of Jewish Music attracted a total audience of 3,000 people and was hailed by public and critic alike. The Fine Arts Committee (also known as the Museum and Art Committee by 1960) sponsored public presentations, the Art Gallery, the Museum, and more. From 1958 it was chaired by Mrs. Rose (Maurice) Turner. There was also a Theatre Arts Committee (Chaired by Mrs. Samuel P. Shapiro, co-chair Mrs. Max Laemmle, and under the guidance of Benjamin Zemach), and the Music Committee (Founded in 1959, Chairman Mr. Edward Robbins and co-chair Mrs. Felix Selner). In 1961, this department became the School of Fine Arts.
Box 

16, folder 1

1.  Promotional Materials 1954-1960

Scope and Content Note

Includes a pamphlet for "Courses in Dance, Drama and Music" during the 1954-1955 semester. Also includes a report and description on the Fine Arts Department and its Committees and programs by Samuel Dinin, 1960-02.
Box 

16, folder 1

2.  Drama Department and the Theatre Arts Committee 1953-1960

Scope and Content Note

Includes promotional material for the "Three One-Act Plays", directed by Benjamin Zemach, Sets by Moi Solotaroff, and music by Gershon Kingsley on 1953-01-18. The plays included "Pioneer From Peoria" by Alan Marcus, "The Grand Prize" by Sholem Aleichem, and "Pity for the Blind" by Alan Marcus. Other materials include news clippings on "Jewish Life as Mirrored in the Arts", Three Theatre Arts Productions by Benajmin Zemach in 1960 and other productions.
Box 

16, folder 1

3.  The Music Department and Committee 1960

Item: Ernest Bloch Music Festival Concerts Poster, Fine Arts Department, 1960 (a_cajoul001)

Physical Location: Additional Location: (Poster in Oversized Materials)

Scope and Content Note

Includes materials on the Ernest Bloch Music Festival Concerts (1960) including news clippings and a Poster. The fesitval included three Memorial Concerts under the musical direction of Maurice Goldman.
Box 

16, folder 1

4.  News Clippings 1960

Scope and Content Note

Includes general news clippings regarding the Fine Arts Department, with titles such as "UJ Expands Drama and Music Department Work" and more.