The H.C. Shaw Company Collection consists of business-related material generated by a pioneering Stockton, California, agricultural
implement dealer and manufacturer best known for the invention, sales, and production of the celebrated Stockton Gang Plow,
a device noted for its role in facilitating cultivation of California's Central Valley.
Dating from 1867, the H.C. Shaw Company was one of the oldest and most venerated businesses of Stockton, California. Its founder,
Col. H. C. Shaw (d. 1904) is known mainly for his invention of the Stockton Gang Plow, a device that for the first time combined
several plow blades set parallel into one mechanism, thus facilitating cultivation of Central California's vast fields in
less time and with less labor than previously possible. In addition to making and selling gang plows, the company sold a variety
of agricultural goods and implements, including wagons, buggies, carriages, and carts.
The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary
Collection is open for research by appointment.