Scope and Content
Title: Dan McCorquodale Papers
Collection number: LP470
Dan McCorquodale, California Legislator
20.5 cubic feet of textual records
California State Archives
Abstract: Dan McCorquodale, Democrat, was a State Senator, 1983-1994. The Dan McCorquodale Papers consist of 20.5 cubic feet of records
reflecting the interests and political activities of McCorquodale during his 12 years in the California State Legislature.
The records contain two series: Bill Files, 1983-1994, and Press Releases, 1983-1992.
Physical location: California State Archives
Languages represented in the collection:
While the majority of the records are open for research, any access restrictions are noted in the record series descriptions.
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researchis assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
[Identification of item], Dan McCorquodale papers, LP470:[folder number], California State Archives, Office of the Secretary
of State, Sacramento, California.
Acquisition and Custodial History
California State Archives acquired the Dan McCorquodale papers, in a series of four transfers, beginning in 1989 (Accession
Numbers: 89-171, 92-09-14, 93-03-04, and 94-12-18).
Dan McCorquodale, Democrat, was a California State Senator, from 1983 to 1994. His 12th Senate District originally included
Santa Clara and Stanislaus counties. In 1993, the 12th Senate District was redistricted to include parts of Madera, Mariposa,
Merced, Stanislaus, and Tuolumne counties.
McCorquodale was born December 17, 1934 in Longville, Louisiana. From 1953 to 1956, he served in the U.S. Marine Corps. Following
his military service, McCorquodale attended California State University, San Diego where he received a Bachelor’s degree in
Education. He was a life credentialed teacher and initiated special education programs in the Evergreen School District
(San Jose). He served as a Chula Vista City Council Member, from 1964 to 1967, and Mayor, from 1968 to 1969. He served for
three terms as a Santa Clara County Supervisor, from 1972 to 1982.
Additionally, McCorquodale has served as a member of the Santa Clara County Inter-Governmental Council, Bay Area Air Quality
Management District, Association of Bay Area Governments, County Supervisors Association of California, San Francisco Bay
Conservation and Development Commission, and the Metropolitan Transportation Commission.
Dan McCorquodale was first elected to the State Senate in 1982. After living in San Jose, his move to Modesto coincided with
the redistricting of the 12th District in 1993. He lost to Dick Monteith, Republican, in 1994.
After leaving the legislature, McCorquodale served as Commissioner of the California Medical Assistance Commission, from 1994
- 1934: Born in Longville, Louisiana
- 1982: Elected to California State Senate
- 1983: Began term in the State Senate representing the 12th District
- 1983-1984: Vice Chair of the Standing Committee on Local Government
- 1983-1994: Chair of the Select Committee on Citizen Participation in Government
- 1983-1984: Chair of the Subcommittee on Infrastructure and Public Works
- 1983-1990: Chair of the Subcommittee on Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Genetic Disorders
- 1985-1986: Vice Chair of the Standing Committee on Agricultural and Water Resources
- 1985-1986: Chair of the Standing Committee on Elections
- 1985-1992: Chair of the Subcommittee on Agricultural Drainage Practices
- 1987-1992: Chair of the Standing Committee on Natural Resources and Wildlife
- 1987-1994: Chair of the Senate Commission on Corporate Governance, Shareholder Rights and Securities Transactions
- 1987-1994: Chair of the Senate Research Commission on Neighborhood Violence
- 1989-1994: Vice Chair of the Standing Committee on Transportation
- 1991-1994: Chair of the Subcommittee on Efficiency and Effectiveness in State Boards and Commissions
- 1991-1994: Chair of the Subcommittee on Justice, Corrections, Resources, and Agriculture
- 1991-1994: Chair of the Special Committee on Developmental Disabilities and Mental Health
- 1993-1994: Chair of the Standing Committee on Agricultural and Water Resources
Scope and Content
The Dan McCorquodale Papers consist of two record series: Bill Files, 1983-1994, and Press Releases, 1983-1992. The bill
files document his legislative activity during his term as a member of the California State Legislature. The bills introduced
by Dan McCorquodale include a wide array of subjects. He authored bills concerning special needs education and medical treatment,
teenage pregnancy, domestic violence, mental health, and agricultural issues.
No further accruals are expected.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
Special education - California
Mental health services - California
Agriculture - California