The Stauffer Chemical Company records consists of materials documenting the company's activities. The materials include minutes
books, financial statements, correspondence, and photographs.
The Stauffer Chemical Company was founded in 1885 in San Francisco by two European immigrants, John Stauffer, Sr. and Christian
de Guigne. The company mainly produced herbicides for corn and rice. It formed partnerships, mergers, and subsidiaries with
many companies, including: The Pacific Hard Rubber Company, West End Chemical Company, Old Hickory Chemical Company, Cowles
Chemical Company, Western Phosphates, Inc. and Victor Chemical Company. The company's headquarters moved from San Francisco
to New York City and later to Westport, Connecticut. It also had offices in Los Angeles, California. In 1985 Stauffer Chemicals
was sold to Chesebrough-Ponds, Inc. In 1987, they sold it to Imperial Chemical Industries who then quickly sold to Rhône-Poulenc,
S.A. Some plants formerly operated by Stauffer Chemical Company have been declared Superfund sites, including the LeMoyne
Plant in Axis, Alabama and the Tarpon Springs Plant in Florida.
180 Linear Feet
(177 records storage boxes, 2 manuscript boxes, 8 flat boxes)
While Special Collections is the owner of the physical and digital items, permission to examine collection materials is not
an authorization to publish. These materials are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. Any transmission
or reproduction beyond that allowed by fair use requires permission from the owners of rights, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/spc/using-collections/permission-publish
The collection is open for research. Note that material is stored off-site and must be requested at least 36 hours in advance
of intended use.