The Columbia Foundation records document a history of charitable giving to organizations working in the areas of human rights,
sustainable communities, food and farming, the environment, and arts and culture.
In 1940, Madeleine Haas Russell and her brother, William Haas, established their philanthropic organization, the Columbia
Foundation, for "the furtherance of the public welfare." The Columbia Foundation was a charitable organization dedicated
to funding programs of groups in the Northern California region, as well as nationally and internationally.
171.8 linear feet
(137 cartons, 3 oversize folders, 1 oversize box)
Materials in this collection may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction
of some materials may be restricted by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions,
privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively
with the user.
Collection is open for research, with the following exceptions: all files (Carton 25, folders 13-24) related to the Center
for Food Safety are closed until 2021. All email files are closed until 2044.