Overview of the Collection
Scope and Contents
Overview of the Collection
Collection Title: Harry Fryman Collection
Fryman, Harry, 1876-1946
0.42 linear feet
documents Fryman's work in the early 20th century hospitality
industry through maps, receipts, and photographs related to Los Angeles hotels and
cafes. Both his work as a Southern California land developer and the role of Fryman
Ranch in silent film production are documented through photographs and
Harry C. Fryman (1876-1946) was born in Ohio and moved to Los Angeles in 1893. He began
his career in the local hotel business as a bellboy at the Mount Lowe Hotel, but
eventually worked his way up to manager. After working at Mount Lowe Hotel, he managed
Hollenbeck Café, Hotel Vincent (later Hotel Palms), Gordon Arms Hotel (later Brighton
Beach Hotel at Terminal Island), Van Nuys Hotel on Broadway, and the Lankershim Hotel.
He married Mae A. Fox in 1900. In 1905 he constructed Hotel Hayward at the former
location of the original Ralph's grocery store, at 6th and Spring in downtown Los
Angeles. Its early success led to the building of additions in the late 1910s and mid
1920s. His Wagener nephews worked with him, with Russell H. Wagener managing Hotel
Hayward for a number of years.
In addition to his work in the hospitality industry, he was also engaged with Los
Angeles land developments, including Commonweath Home Builders (Watts), Cudahy Walnut
Land Company (Huntington Park), Washington Square Land Company, Sunnybrook Land Company
(adjacent to Culver City), as well as developments in Lytle Creek, Calabasas, and
Briarcliff Manor in Studio City near Laurel Canyon and Mulholland. He was civically
engaged, and served as a member and in leadership roles for a number of organizations,
including the Civil Service Commission and the Police Commission. He retired in 1943
after selling the Hayward Hotel.
This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.
Genre/Form of Material:
Mallory Furnier, 2018
Conditions Governing Use:
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s)
of this collection has not been transferred to California State University,
Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or
reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of
the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Conditions Governing Access:
The collection is open for research use.
For information about citing items in this collection consult the appropriate style
manual, or see the
Citing Archival Materials
Scope and Contents
Harry C. Fryman rose to prominence through his work in the Los Angeles hospitality
industry, first as a bellboy, then as hotel manager, and finally as owner of Hotel
Harry Fryman Collection documents Hotel
Hayward through press clippings, photographs, promotional ephemera, and a small number
of financial documents. Correspondence, menus, and promotional ephemera document his
time before Hotel Hayward at the Echo Mountain House at Mount Lowe, Palms Hotel, Hotel
Vincent, and Brighton Beach Hotel at Terminal Island.
Parallel to his success at Hotel Hayward, Fryman managed and invested in a number of
real estate ventures in the metropolitan Los Angeles area. Fryman Ranch, located in the
area near Laurel Canyon and Mulholland Drive, was often rented as a location for silent
films. Photographs that depict filming in the Fryman Ranch area include production
stills for The Tower of Lies (1925), Annie Laurie (1927), The Enemy (1927), The Cossacks
(1928), and an unidentified western. Actors include Bill Haines, Lillian Gish, Ralph
Forbes, Norma Shearer, John Gilbert, Renee Adoree, Nils Asther, and Lon Chaney.
In the late 1930s Fryman began developing land in the area of Fryman Ranch, subdividing
the property into Briarcliff Manor and Briarcrest. Beverly Crest Realty Company managed
the subdivision comprised of land formerly owned by the Lankershim Ranch, Land and Water
Company, and originally part of the Spanish Rancho Mission de San Fernando. Newspaper
advertisements billed Briarcliff Manor as the “Beverly Hills of the Valley,” and a
number of prominent film production and local community members purchased lots and built
homes in the real estate development. Photographs and newspaper advertisements document
the development of Briarcliff real estate.
Collection materials were removed from a scrapbook assembled posthumously, and the loose
original thematic and chronological order was echoed in this arrangement.