This collection consists primarily of correspondence between Edward McGurk (a businessman in San Diego in the late 1800s)
and his family, as well as several other family papers.
Edward McGurk is first listed in the militia rolls for San Diego County in 1881. Described in one source as a tugboat captain,
McGurk was listed in the city directory of 1887 as a capitalist. In that year, he was responsible for the development of the
McGurk Block in what is now the Gaslamp Quarter. McGurk was responsible for the construction of the three-storied building
which houses the Ferris Drug store. McGurk was listed in the directories for 1906 and 1907 as the president of the Pioneer
Truck Company. The last listing for McGurk in any of the directories is for 1908, after which his name disappears.
0.25 Linear feet
The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.
This collection is open for research.