Finding aid created by University Archives staff using RecordEXPRESS
California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo. University Archives2019
Special Collections and Archives
Robert E. Kennedy Library, Rm 409
San Luis Obispo, California 93407
Title: Journalism Department
Dates: 1906 - 2016
Collection Number: UA0056
Creator/Collector: Journalism Department College of Liberal Arts
Extent: 5LF, 3 boxesOnline items available
Repository: California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo. University Archives
San Luis Obispo, California 93407
Abstract: Documents, photographs, newspapers, and exhibit content related to the Journalism Department.
Language of Material: English
Collection is open to researchers by appointment. For more information on visiting, access policies, and reproduction requests, please visit our Reference Services page online at http://lib.calpoly.edu/search-and-find/collections-and-archives/reference-services/.
Digital copies are provided to researchers for the purpose of study, research, and personal use only, unless otherwise specified in writing. Materials that are the property of Cal Poly Special Collections and Archives require written permission prior to publication. No complete collection may be reproduced. For print and online publication, please visit our Reproduction Services page online at http://lib.calpoly.edu/support/sca-policies/reproduction/. Special Collections and Archives reserves the right to review all reproduction requests and to withhold permission if scanning would endanger the material, would violate copyright law, or would violate institutional restrictions.
Journalism Department. California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo. University Archives
Founded in the 1920s, the Journalism Department is one of 16 programs in the College of Liberal Arts. The department offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Journalism with emphases available in broadcasting, multimedia, news-editorial, and public relations. A student-run news organization is a core element of the department and is representative of Cal Poly’s “learn-by-doing” approach. Journalism student work in communications media including the Mustang Daily student newspaper; KCPR 91.3, the FM-stereo radio station; Central Coast PRspectives, a public relations firm; or with CPTV, Cal Poly’s TV station. While students have published a campus newspaper or other periodic journal since 1916, journalism classes were first offered in 1927 in the English Department as supplements to vocational training. Course requirements at the time included publishing in the biweekly student newspaper. In 1932 a loss in state funding prompted a significant campus reorganization; Cal Poly closed the high school, the junior college, and related programs. Journalism classes were no longer offered and The Polygram, a weekly campus newsletter, ceased production. In 1938, the student newspaper returned with the new title: El Mustang, and in 1939 journalism courses returned under the English Department. Robert E. Kennedy, former reporter and public relations officer and future Cal Poly president, joined Cal Poly in 1940 of as Head of Journalism. The coursework transformed under his leadership. By 1947 a department of English, Public Speaking, and Journalism had. Kennedy was also responsible for establishing the Agricultural Journalism Department in 1950, a visionary program that prepared Ag students for jobs as reporters and editors with rural newspapers and agricultural journals. With support from alumni, the Brock Center for Agricultural Communication was established in partnership with the Journalism Department to foster communication between the agricultural industry, the media, and the public in the 1980s. In 1960, the Journalism Department expanded and was renamed the Technical Journalism. It offered three concentrations: Industrial Journalism, Community Journalism, and Home Economics Journalism. “Technical” was dropped from the title in 1968 and over the next two decades new concentrations in Broadcast Journalism and Public Relations were introduced. By the 1990s students were able to build unique curriculum packages to maximize their preparation for future careers in journalism. The journalism department adopted new technologies and additional media outlets for informing the Cal Poly community throughout its history on campus. Students launched the first Cal Poly campus news website in 2006, added the Cal Poly mobile app in 2012, and fully integrated social media in 2013. The department also sponsors student chapters of the Society of Professional Journalists, Radio-Television News Directors Association, and the Public Relations Student Society of America. The department serves as headquarters for the California Intercollegiate Press Association (CIPA).
Documents, photographs, newspapers, and exhibit content related to the Journalism Department. Correspondence to and from Ralph M. Alexander related to a journalism workshop offered in collaboration with the California Scholastic Press Association.