Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the School of Education Records, Academic Departments and Schools, American Jewish University Archives (Institutional Records)
CaLaAJUL1_5  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (121.00 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
 
 
Table of contents What's This?

Container List

Box 15

Series: 5.1:
School of Education 1947-1962

Physical Description: 5 Folders
Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on classes, schedules and faculty, see Schedules and Bulletins of General Information (Box 1).

Scope and Content Note

This subseries contains materials related to the School of Education. It includes materials related to the Board of Governors of the School of Education, Inner Committee, Public Lectures, Teacher’s Institute, and the Department of Extension Education.

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: In the Fall of 1947, the University of Judaism opened its School of Education, which included the Teacher's Institute (Teacher's Training Program), an Extension Department, Public Lectures, and a Leaders Training Fellowship. Dr. Samuel Dinin served as Dean of the School and Jacob Pressman served as the School's first Registrar and was succeeded by Max Vorspan in 1952. A Women’s Institute, University Institute of Adult Jewish Studies, Fine Arts Department, Institute of Jewish Communal Service, School of Creative Arts, a Museum and Art Gallery were added to the school during the 1950s-1960s.
Box 

15, folder 1

A:  Minutes of Board of Governors of the School of Education 1947-1949

Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the Board of Governors (1968-), please see Board of Governors (Box 13, folder 7-8).

Scope and Content Note

Minutes of the Board of Governors meetings, discussing the history of the School, reports on programs and from committees, lectures, and other various issues.

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: Established in the fall of 1947 to oversee and promote the establishment and development of the academic programs of the UJ, including the School of Education, its first chairman was Peter M. Kahn. While they did not have any legislative powers, their advice was incredibly important to the University academic staff. Members included Mordechai Kaplan, Moshe Davis, Aaron Gordon, Mrs. Ayola (Irwin) Reiss, Samuel Dinin, Jacob Kohn, Abbott Kaplan, Meyer Krakowski, Ben Platt, Jacob Pressman, Nathan Saltzman, Theodore Strimling, Mrs. Leo Gallin, Max Holtzman, and more.
Box 

15, folder 2

B:  Minutes of the Inner Committee 1948-1949

Scope and Content Note

Minutes of the Inner Committee meetings, discussing housing, lectures, courses, registrar reports, the library, brochures, public relations, and more.

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: Members included Peter Kahn, Simon Greenberg, Jacob Kohn, Samuel Dinin, Jacob Pressman, Benjamin Platt, George Meyer, Victor Garvey, Ruth Swerdlow (Secretary) and more.
Box 

15, folder 3

C:  Public Lectures 1952-1962

Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the Faculty Forum, Public Lectures (1962-1964), please see the Graduate School (Box 15);

Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the Public Lectures (1962-) under the Earl Warren Institute of Ethics and Human Relations, please see Box 15;

Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the Library Lecture Series (1964-), please see the University Institute (Box 15).

Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the Public Lecture Series (1976-), please see the Department of Continuing Education (Box 18).

Scope and Content Note

Includes a program from the Annual series, "Six Public Lectures" and news clippings of various lectures.

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: Under the School of Education, many distinguished professors and visiting scholars would teach at the University and give public lectures. The visiting scholars who lectured included Martin Buber, Simon Halkin, Naftali Tur-Sinai, Paul Chertoff, Abraham Menes, Shlomo Noble, Shalom Spiegel, Ernst Simon, Leo Strauss, Zvi Scarfstein (The Role of the Heder in Jewish Life, Past and Present, in Yiddish; Life and Culture in Present Day Palestine, in Hebrew), Elias Bickerman, and Mordecai M. Kaplan (The Future of the American Jew). They were organized by the Lecture Series Committee, whose chairmen include Cyrus Levinthal, J. J. Lieberman, Jacob Kohn, Harold Easton, Charles Brown, Dore Schary, Nathan Saltzman, Charles Zibbell, David Winston (Enduring Values in Judaism), Abraham Heschel (Judaism and the Moral Problem), Judah Goldin (The Role of Midrash in Jewish Thought) and Joseph Schulman. The lectures were hosted by Congregation Sinai, Sinai Fellowship, Temple B'nai Israel of Pasadena, Southwest B'nai Zion Temple Center, Israela, the Valley Jewish Community Center, Temple Beth El of Hollywood, and more. This program moved to the Earl Warren Institute of Ethics and Human Relations around 1962 and later to the Department of Continuing Education.
Box 

15, folder 4

D:  Teacher’s Institute 1948-1962

Physical Description: 1 Folder
Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the Hebrew Teachers College, and the College of Judaica (1961-1972) please see Box 15, Folder 20.
Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the University College of Jewish Studies (1972-1987), see Box 15.

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: When Samuel Dinin arrived in Los Angeles in 1945, he realized that there was no Hebrew high school or program to train teachers for such schools. A program which began with the Bureau of Jewish Education was then transferred to the University, under the School of Education, first named a Teachers Training Program. It consisted of a Department of Hebrew Language and Literature, and a Department of Yiddish Language and Literature. It offered courses to those who wished to become teachers in week-day Jewish schools or who wished to continue their Jewish studies on a collegiate level. In the 50s it was a four-year program with a dozen courses a semester. By 1956, the program offered a Teaching Diploma, a Bachelor in Religious Education, and a Bachelor in Hebrew Letters. David Lieber was Dean of Students of the Teachers Institute in 1958. In September 1962, the program was replaced with the Hebrew Teachers College and the College of Judaica.
Box 

15, folder 4

1.  Minutes of the Teacher’s Training Committee/ Teachers Institute Committee 1948-1949

Scope and Content Note

Chairmen included Jacob Kohn and Nathan Saltzman. Topics include reports, the Yiddish department, schedules, publication fund, out of town students, the register, and more.
Box 

15, folder 4

2.  Alumni Association 1961

Scope and Content Note

Includes Minutes of the West Coast Branch of the Teachers Institute Alumni and news clippings (Mrs. Ayola Reiss Heads Newly Formed Alumni Association).

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: Graduates of the Teachers Institute formed this group, with their project being a scholarship fund in honor of Samuel Dinin. The money would be raised through personal pledges, theatre parties, annual dinner, and more. They were also in communication with the New York Alumni branch from JTS. The initial meeting was held on December 4th, 1961.
Box 

15, folder 4

3.  News Clippings 1960-1962

Box 

15, folder 5

E:  Department of Extension Education: Youth and Adult Education 1947-1948

Physical Description: 1 Folder
Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the the Institute for Jewish Studies or the University Institute, please see Box 15.

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: This department was established to "help young people and adults to improve their understanding of themselves, their cultural heritage, and the problems of our world, as an aid to constructive Jewish living in the American democracy". It included the Youth Institute of Jewish Studies (Joseph Field and Portia Fisher as chairmen), Education for Sunday School Teachers and Group Workers, the Women’s Institute of Jewish Studies, and the Adult School of Jewish Studies. At first, the classes took place at Vermont Avenue and at Sinai Temple. Later they were moved to the Ardmore Campus. Rabbi Jacob Pressman was the first Director of the Extension Department. The Women's Institute (with Mrs. Ayola Reiss as Registrar and Director) would have morning classes, with a Valley branch as well. In the 50s, the University Institute of Adult Jewish Studies would have classes in the evening. The Women's Institute became the Morning Division of the University Institute of Jewish Studies around 1957. The Department of Extension Education eventually turned into the University Institute for Jewish Studies, and later the University Institute.
Box 

15, folder 5

1.  Youth Institute of Jewish Studies 1947-1948

Scope and Content Note

Includes analysis, schedules, registration reports, and a brochure.