Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
California Pacific Railroad records
MS 114  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.01 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
Includes records of the California Pacific Railroad, its predecessors San Francisco & Marysville and California Pacific Rail Road, and its subsidiaries Stockton and Visalia and the Stockton & Copperopolis Railroads.
In 1851, the Marysville & Benicia Railroad was organized to link the San Francisco Bay area to the Sacramento Valley. It was succeeded by the San Francisco & Marysville in 1857. This company began construction of a line between Marysville and Suisun, but prior to its completion, the line was absorbed in January 1865 by the California Pacific Rail Road. This company eventually ran from South Vallejo to Sacramento, and from Davis to Knights Landing and Marysville. Its first president was DeWitt C. Rice. The California Pacific Rail Road, in turn, became part of the California Pacific Railroad when that company was incorporated in December, 1869. Contractor D.C. Haskin was an early operator of the line. The "Cal P," as the California Pacific was known, operated both trains and steamers over a network which extended from the Sacramento / San Joaquin Valleys to the Napa Valley and Calistoga. Subsidiaries of this company included the Stockton & Copperopolis and the Stockton & Visalia Railroads. The California Pacific came under control of the Central Pacific in 1871, and was absorbed by the Southern Pacific in April, 1898.
2 boxes + 2 half-boxes + 1 oversize box
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the District Collections Manager. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
This collection is open for research at our off-site storage facility with one week's notice. Contact Library & Archives staff to arrange for access.