This collection of photographs and retention letters deals with the Tacoma Smelter in Ruston, Washington,
that when finally closed in 1985, was one of the largest Superfund sites in America.
The American Smelting and Refining Company (ASARCO) plant located in Tacoma, Washington was originally the Ryan Smelter, a
lead-refining company, established by Dennis Ryan in 1887. William R. Rust (1850-1928) purchased the site in 1889 and changed
the name to the Tacoma Smelting and Refining Company. In 1905, Rust sold the plant for $5.5 million to ASARCO, which converted
the lead-refining plant to copper smelting and refining. The Tacoma smelter also produced arsenic trioxide, sulfuric acid
and precious metals throughout most of the 20th century.
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from or publish images of this material,
nor does it charge fees for such activities. The responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and
obtaining necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Collection is open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department. For more information,
please go to following web site.