Daniel B. Murphy was born on September 21, 1855 in Hazelton, Pennsylvania. He spent his early years in the Oklahoma oil fields
before arriving in California as an employee of the Southern Pacific railroad. In 1883, Murphy and his Irish-born partner,
Frank Monaghan, began transforming Needles railroad station into a town. They built a general store, bank and utility plants
for a population of 300 railroad men. Soon, they began to set up a business empire by securing water rights and setting up
a chain of refrigeration and ice manufacturing plants for the Santa Fe railroad. Murphy also dabbled in the mining industry
along the Colorado River. In 1894, Murphy provided financial support for the California Portland Cement Company in Colton,
California. He served as its president for 35 years. Tempted by the oil industry again, he opened the Brea Canyon Oil Company,
located in the Coyote Hills above Fullerton and in East Whittier. More than a decade later, he settled in El Segundo, which
surrounded Standard Oil refinery, helping to create another company town. From his Los Angeles office, Murphy began promoting
cement sales, which lured the influential to the blue-collared community of Colton. Murphy’s cement helped build Southwestern
monuments, ranging from Union Station in Los Angeles to Hoover Dam and the All American Canal. He passed away on September
14, 1939. At the time of his death, Murphy was president of the California Portland Cement Company and Brea Canyon Oil Company.
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from or publish images of this material,
nor does it charge fees for such activities. The responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and
obtaining necessary permissions rests with the researcher.