Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Eastside Church of Christ Records
View entire collection guide What's This?
Search this collection
Collection Details
Table of contents What's This?
  • Conditions Governing Access
  • Conditions Governing Use
  • Preferred Citation
  • Historical note
  • Scope and Content
  • Arrangement
  • Processing Information note

  • Language of Material: English
    Contributing Institution: Pepperdine University. Special Collections and University Archives.
    Title: Eastside Church of Christ Records
    Identifier/Call Number: 0134
    Physical Description: 7.13 Linear Feet (6 boxes)
    Date (inclusive): 1960-2006
    Abstract: In 1953, the Eastside Church of Christ began in conjunction with Columbia Christian School in Portland, Oregon. The collection includes financial records and other documents related to church business from 1960 to 2006.

    Conditions Governing Access

    Advance notice required for access.

    Conditions Governing Use

    Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

    Preferred Citation

    [Box/folder# or item name], Eastside Church of Christ Records, Collection no. 0134, Churches of Christ Heritage Center, Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries, Pepperdine University.

    Historical note

    The Eastside Church of Christ began in 1953 in conjunction with Columbia Christian School. On June 7, 1953, the first service was held in the school auditorium. Eighty-five people attended that day (most were from Central) and two were baptized. Within the next few months, four elders (Walter Burkett, Earl Smith, Chester Kennedy, and Bert Claspill) and five deacons (Bill Ragsdale, Curtis Danner, Bill Davis, Bill Powell Jr., and Sewell Magnani) were appointed. L.D. Webb (president of Columbia) was hired as the preacher. One year later, Claude Guild moved to Portland to preach at Eastside and to serve as vice-president at Columbia. Attendance at that time was about 100 and the weekly contribution was about $150. In 1957, a building fund was started and the lot at 90th and Glisan was purchased. Construction began on June 9, 1959, at a cost of about $230,000. On June 12, 1960, the first worship service was held in the new building. By 1968, the average attendance had grown to 465.
    In the late 1970s and early 1980s, church members became concerned about refugees from South East Asia and began sponsoring and ministering to their spiritual needs. The Asian program began in 1975-1978 under Frank Roberts. Many members contributed their time and energy to teaching Bible classes, driving buses, teaching English, and to many other areas of service. The Asian congregation met in the fellowship hall for many years but currently meets in the auditorium on Sunday afternoons. They currently have an attendance of about 100 members.

    Scope and Content

    The collection includes financial records and church documents dating from 1960 to 2000. Topics from the financial records series include financial statements and budget records, tax information, deposit slips, ledger books, bonds and interest, and mission work funds. Topics from the general church documents include church minister applications, church events, elder applications and resignations, correspondence, complaints and grievances, policies and procedures, membership and church information, and mission work.


    The collection is organized into the following series: 1. Financial Records and 2. Church Documents. The financial records are organized in chronological order and the church documents are organized alphabetically by folder title.

    Processing Information note

    The collection was arranged and described by Lindsey Gant and Katie Richardson in July, 2015.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Christianity -- History
    Churches of Christ -- History
    Financial records
    Receipts (financial records)
    Ledgers (account books)
    Portland (Or.) -- History
    Eastside Church of Chirst