Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
William F. Cody Collection
View entire collection guide What's This?
Search this collection
Collection Details
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms
  • Additional collection guides

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: William F. Cody Collection
    Dates: 1947-1997
    Collection Number: S2018.2
    Creator/Collector: William F. Cody
    Extent: 10 Linear Feet
    Repository: Palm Springs Art Museum
    Palm Springs, California 92263
    Abstract: William Francis Cody (1916-1978) FAIA was a desert modern architect working in Palm Springs during the peak of the Modern Architecture movement. He was born in 1916 in Dayton, Ohio and studied architecture at the University of Southern California. After graduation in 1942, Cody apprenticed at several California firms, before moving to Palm Springs in 1946. During his career in Palm Springs, Cody was first employed staff architect for the Desert Inn Hotel, before setting off on his own to design the Del Marcos Hotel (1947). The conversion of the 1936 Thunderbird Dude Ranch to Thunderbird Country Club, led to design commissions for the clubhouses at Tamarisk, Eldorado, Seven Lakes, and seven other Country Club developments. It is through these 3 projects that Cody is credited with the County Club subdivision concept. Cody's specialization in country club clubhouses along with associated residential developments led to his being commissioned in California, Arizona, Texas, Cuba, and Mexico. Cody is noted for a number of spectacular contemporary commissions including the Perlberg (1952), Shamel (1961), and Abernathy (1962) residences. He also designed the St. Theresa Catholic Church (1968), L' Horizon Hotel (1952), and the Palm Springs Public Library (1975).
    Language of Material: English


    The collection is open to qualified researchers by appointment only.

    Publication Rights

    No interpretive restriction is placed on material. Separate permissions to be obtained for publishing material. Property rights to the physical object belong to the Palm Springs Art Museum. Literary rights, including copyright, are retained by the creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where Palm Springs Art Museum does not hold the copyright.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item]. William F. Cody Collection. Collection Number: S2018.2 . Palm Springs Art Museum

    Acquisition Information

    The materials were donated by Cathy Cody Nemirovsky (S2018.2) in 2018 with additional materials added to the collection.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    Contains one series of drawings (transparencies and diazo copies) of project examples. Additional Cody projects added to this collection from other special collection.

    Indexing Terms

    Palm Springs -- Buildings, structures, etc.
    Los Angeles -- Buildings, structures, etc.
    Architecture -- California -- Palm Springs
    Architecture -- California -- Los Angeles
    Cody, William F. (Francis) (1916-1978) - Archives
    Palm Springs, California
    Los Angeles, California
    Architects -- Palm Springs
    Architects -- Los Angeles

    Additional collection guides