William Francis Cody (1916-1978) FAIA was a desert modern architect working in Palm Springs during the peak of the Modern
Architecture movement. He was born in 1916 in Dayton, Ohio and studied architecture at the University of Southern California.
After graduation in 1942, Cody apprenticed at several California firms, before moving to Palm Springs in 1946.
During his career in Palm Springs, Cody was first employed staff architect for the Desert Inn Hotel, before setting off on
his own to design the Del Marcos Hotel (1947). The conversion of the 1936 Thunderbird Dude Ranch to Thunderbird Country Club,
led to design commissions for the clubhouses at Tamarisk, Eldorado, Seven Lakes, and seven other Country Club developments.
It is through these
3 projects that Cody is credited with the County Club subdivision concept. Cody's specialization in country club clubhouses
along with associated residential developments led to his being commissioned in California, Arizona, Texas, Cuba, and Mexico.
Cody is noted for a number of spectacular contemporary commissions including the Perlberg (1952), Shamel (1961), and Abernathy
(1962) residences. He also designed the St. Theresa Catholic Church (1968), L' Horizon Hotel (1952), and the Palm Springs
Public Library (1975).
No interpretive restriction is placed on material. Separate permissions to be obtained for publishing material. Property rights
to the physical object belong to the Palm Springs Art Museum. Literary rights, including copyright, are retained by the creators
and their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright
owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where Palm Springs Art Museum does not hold the copyright.