Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
MS 681  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.03 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
Francis A. Guido was the founding publisher of the railfan periodical THE WESTERN RAILROADER. This material documents Francis A. Guido's life-long interest in railroading.
Born on December 8, 1920 in San Francisco, Francis A. Guido became interested in railroading as a child when an uncle gave him a Lionel train set. In 1937, he went on a West Coast railfan trip with Jack Gibson, which inspired them, along with John Carrick and Bill Darrough, to organize the Northern California Railroad Club. The first issue of the club's newsletter, THE WESTERN RAILROADER, was issued in 1937 and by April 1938, Francis Guido had agreed to write, edit, and publish it, which he did for the next forty-nine years. A "railfan" journal was novel for its time. Mr. Guido served as President of the Northern California Railroad Club, Director of the Pacific Coast Chapter of the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society, and Secretary of the San Mateo Historical Society. Mr. Guido frequently participated in Northern California railfan excursions. Francis Guido graduated from Stanford University in 1942 with a degree in transportation economics and from Stanford Law School in 1945. He began to practice law in San Mateo the following year. Mr. Guido married Helen Neuling and had two children, Gail and Garth. He died February 1, 1986 in San Mateo, California.
2 boxes + 1 half-box + 1 album
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the California State Railroad Museum Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
This collection is open for research at our off-site storage facility with one week's notice. Contact Library & Archives staff to arrange for access.