Guide to the Tifereth Israel Synagogue Collection

Finding Aid Authors: Processed by Bonnie M. Harris, Marilyn Tom, Laurel Schwartz.
© Copyright 2015 Special Collections & University Archives. All rights reserved.
2015-07-22
5500 Campanile Dr. MC 8050
San Diego, CA, 92182-8050
URL: http://library.sdsu.edu/scua
Email: askscua@mail.sdsu.edu
Phone: 619-594-6791

Guide to the Tifereth Israel Synagogue Collection 1939/2005

Special Collections & University Archives

Overview of the Collection

Collection Title: Tifereth Israel Synagogue Collection
Dates: 1939-2005
Identification: MS-0527
Creator: Tifereth Israel Synagogue
Physical Description: 1.25 linear ft
Language of Materials: English
Repository: Special Collections & University Archives
5500 Campanile Dr. MC 8050
San Diego, CA, 92182-8050
URL: http://library.sdsu.edu/scua
Email: askscua@mail.sdsu.edu
Phone: 619-594-6791

Historical Note:

The earliest congregants first met at Temple Beth Israel, a reform congregation, at 2 nd and Beech Streets in San Diego, continuing with orthodox services after the reform services. Tifereth Israel Congregation as it was then called, was founded in 1905 as an orthodox congregation at the home of Elias and Lena Jacobson. By 1917 they had built their own synagogue building at 18 th and Market Streets. In 1948 the congregation, under the leadership of Rabbi Monroe Levens moved to a new synagogue building at 30 th and Howard Streets in North Park and changed its affiliation to the Conservative Movement. After thirty years at that location, they built a new building in East San Diego, on Cowles Mountain Blvd, where Tifereth Israel Synagogue remains in 2015.

Access Terms

This collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Corporate Name:

Tifereth Israel Synagogue (San Diego, Calif.)

Topical Term:

Jews -- California -- San Diego

Administrative Information

Custodial History:

The materials in this collection were donated to the Jewish Historical Society by the following: Mollie Harris, the former librarian of the Astor Judaica Library at the 54 th Street JCC donated materials in 2001. She and her family were members of Tifereth Israel; Audrey Jacobson Kapelus who, in 2002, donated photographs of the congregation, which her grandparents helped found in 1905 and whose father, Isadore Jacobson was president of the congregation; Lewis Fischbein who in 2003, donated materials from his family’s collection. Fischbein’s father was president of the congregation and his mother helped found the Daughters of Israel. Stan & Laurel Schwartz added various anniversary books and other materials as they became available.
The collection was transferred to the Library and Information Access on July 21, 2015.

Accruals:

Jewish Historical Society of San Diego Accesions: #2001.08, 2002.02, 2003.01

Conditions Governing Use:

The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine.  Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.

Conditions Governing Access:

This collection is open for research.

Preferred Citation:

Identification of item, folder title, box number, Tifereth Israel Synagogue Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Library and Information Access, San Diego State University.

Scope and Contents

The contents of the collection contain synagogue newsletters, clippings, event announcements, songbooks, photographs; dedication, anniversary and tribute books, scrapbook contents and minute books.

Detailed List of Contents

 

Mollie Harris 1956-2005

Box 1, Folder 1

Newspaper clippings 1956-2005

Box 1, Folder 2

Shofar - Newsletters 1959-1979

Box 1, Folder 3

Tifereth Israel Religious School 1961-1991

Box 1, Folder 4

Events 1962-1995

Box 1, Folder 5

Tifereth Israel Songbook 1970-1971

Box 1, Folder 6

Tifereth Israel Songsheets

Box 1, Folder 7

Tifereth Israel Sisterhood 1985-1998

Box 1, Folder 8

Shofar Newsletter 1981-1992

Box 1, Folder 9

Rabbi Aaron Gold - In Memoriam 2001

Box 1, Folder 10

Passover Music Box

 

Audrey Jacobson Kapelus

Box 1, Folder 1

Tifereth Israel on 30th and Howard Streets 1948, 1969

Box 1, Folder 2

Anniversary and Tribute Booklets

Box 1, Folder 3

Photographs

 

Lewis Fischbien 1939-1986

Box 1, Folder 1

Minutes Record Book 1939-1940

Box 1, Folder 2

Minutes Record Book 1940-1945

Box 1, Folder 3

Rose Fischbein Scrapbook 1942-1946

Box 1, Folder 4

David Fischbein and Rose Fischbein Certificates 1945-1953

Box 1, Folder 5

Tifereth Israel - 18th Street Synagogue

Box 1, Folder 6

Tifereth Israel - Cowles Mtn. Blvd