Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Tifereth Israel Synagogue Collection
MS-0527  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (79.41 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview of the Collection
  • Historical Note:
  • Access Terms
  • Administrative Information
  • Scope and Contents

  • Overview of the Collection

    Collection Title: Tifereth Israel Synagogue Collection
    Dates: 1939-2005
    Identification: MS-0527
    Creator: Tifereth Israel Synagogue
    Physical Description: 1.25 linear ft
    Language of Materials: English
    Repository: Special Collections & University Archives
    5500 Campanile Dr. MC 8050
    San Diego, CA, 92182-8050
    URL: http://library.sdsu.edu/scua
    Email: askscua@mail.sdsu.edu
    Phone: 619-594-6791

    Historical Note:

    The earliest congregants first met at Temple Beth Israel, a reform congregation, at 2 nd and Beech Streets in San Diego, continuing with orthodox services after the reform services. Tifereth Israel Congregation as it was then called, was founded in 1905 as an orthodox congregation at the home of Elias and Lena Jacobson. By 1917 they had built their own synagogue building at 18 th and Market Streets. In 1948 the congregation, under the leadership of Rabbi Monroe Levens moved to a new synagogue building at 30 th and Howard Streets in North Park and changed its affiliation to the Conservative Movement. After thirty years at that location, they built a new building in East San Diego, on Cowles Mountain Blvd, where Tifereth Israel Synagogue remains in 2015.

    Access Terms

    This collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

    Corporate Name:

    Tifereth Israel Synagogue (San Diego, Calif.)

    Topical Term:

    Jews -- California -- San Diego

    Administrative Information

    Custodial History:

    The materials in this collection were donated to the Jewish Historical Society by the following: Mollie Harris, the former librarian of the Astor Judaica Library at the 54 th Street JCC donated materials in 2001. She and her family were members of Tifereth Israel; Audrey Jacobson Kapelus who, in 2002, donated photographs of the congregation, which her grandparents helped found in 1905 and whose father, Isadore Jacobson was president of the congregation; Lewis Fischbein who in 2003, donated materials from his family’s collection. Fischbein’s father was president of the congregation and his mother helped found the Daughters of Israel. Stan & Laurel Schwartz added various anniversary books and other materials as they became available.
    The collection was transferred to the Library and Information Access on July 21, 2015.

    Accruals:

    Jewish Historical Society of San Diego Accesions: #2001.08, 2002.02, 2003.01

    Conditions Governing Use:

    The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine.  Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.

    Conditions Governing Access:

    This collection is open for research.

    Preferred Citation:

    Identification of item, folder title, box number, Tifereth Israel Synagogue Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Library and Information Access, San Diego State University.

    Scope and Contents

    The contents of the collection contain synagogue newsletters, clippings, event announcements, songbooks, photographs; dedication, anniversary and tribute books, scrapbook contents and minute books.