The contents of the collection contain synagogue newsletters, clippings, event announcements, songbooks, photographs; dedication,
anniversary and tribute books, scrapbook contents and minute books.
The earliest congregants first met at Temple Beth Israel, a reform congregation, at 2nd and Beech Streets in San Diego, continuing with orthodox services after the reform services. Tifereth Israel Congregation
as it was then called, was founded in 1905 as an orthodox congregation at the home of Elias and Lena Jacobson. By 1917 they
had built their own synagogue building at 18th and Market Streets. In 1948 the congregation, under the leadership of Rabbi Monroe Levens moved to a new synagogue building
at 30th and Howard Streets in North Park and changed its affiliation to the Conservative Movement. After thirty years at that location,
they built a new building in East San Diego, on Cowles Mountain Blvd, where Tifereth Israel Synagogue remains in 2015.
The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with
the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections
is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Requests for permission to publish must be
submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available
for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including
but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
This collection is open for research.